Critical Spell Failure options for ICRPG

Inspired by ICRPG and DCC critical fails for spell casters, I have written my own take on critical fail consequences that are less brutal/aggressive as DCC’s typical corruption charts. I have two takes on it. Let me know what you think! What do you use in your games?

Take One (Closest to DCC)

SPELL CRITICAL FAILURE - 1d6

1. Lose the spell for the day.
  2. Reverse the spell.
  3. 1d4 psychic damage on caster.
  4. Minor Corruption
  5. Major Corruption
  6. Lose the ability to cast spells of the same type for a day.

MINOR CORRUPTION - Temporary - 1d10

1. Caster spends the next turn vomiting.
  2. Horrors distract you from the corner of your eyes. Spell casting is considered HARD for 1d4 ROUNDS.
  3. Caster develops compulsive behavior for 1d4 days. (Constantly clapping in threes, always shouting, always whispering, excessive profanity (you can just say “cuss”), constantly adjusting uncomfortable clothing, constantly forcing a sneeze, etc)
  4. Caster has unblinking, glowing eyes like that of a deep sea fish. -1 to all ATTEMPT rolls in lit areas for one day.
  5. Chills. Caster feels cold and cannot remain quiet due to chattering teeth. Lasts one day.
  6. A rush of wind and clap of thunder! All NEAR light sources are blown out, but the sound and the lightning has most likely alerted the enemy to your position.
  7. Hallucinations. You cannot tell friend from foe for 1d4 ROUNDS. (You do not need to attack.)
  8. Phase out. You become invisible and invulnerable for 1d4 ROUNDS but cannot interact with the world.
  9. Bodily Transformation! This effect lasts one day. All your equipment magically scales with you and can be used normally. Roll 1d4: (1) You are now half your height. (2) You are now a talking chicken. (3) You are now the opposite gender. (4) You have a third functional limb. You choose what kind of limb.
  10. Nothing seems to have happened. (However, this spell will trigger in 1d4 rounds.)

MAJOR CORRUPTION - Permanent - 1d10

1. Caster develops a strange odor. -1 to Charisma
  2. Caster’s shadow is now bestial. People who notice don’t trust you.
  3. Caster has permanent disadvantage on this spell OR casting this spell is always HARD.
  4. Dogs always bark at you. Animals in general give you a HARD time.
  5. Accidental Alchemy. One of your items has been turned to gold. It’s now worth a fortune by weight, but probably useless.
  6. Ears mutate. Roll 1d5: (1) ears become pointed; (2) ears fall off (character still hears normally); (3) ears enlarge and look like an elephant’s; (4) ears elongate and look like a donkey’s (character also gains braying laugh); (5) ears shrivel and fold back.
  7. A third eye opens from your forehead. People will treat you differently. -1 CHA, +1 WIS
  8. You are now growing a tail. (If you already had one, you lose a tail.)
  9. Bodily transformation. Roll 1d6: (1) character grows scales across his entire body; (2) character grows gills; (3) character sprouts feathers; (4) character develops webbed toes and feet
  10. There is a rift in space. You accidentally summon a DEMON (or foe of at least 4 hearts) of immense power. In most circumstances, the Demon is neutral to all parties (attacking indiscriminately).

Take Two (Fewer rolls)

SPELL CRITICAL FAILURE - Minor Consequences - 1d12

1. Lose the spell for the day.
  2. 1d4 psychic damage on caster.
  3. Caster spends the next turn vomiting.
  4. Horrors distract you from the corner of your eyes. Spell casting is considered HARD for 1d4 ROUNDS.
  5. Caster develops compulsive behavior for 1d4 days. (Constantly clapping in threes, always shouting, always whispering, excessive profanity (you can just say “cuss”), constantly adjusting uncomfortable clothing, constantly forcing a sneeze, etc)
  6. Caster has unblinking, glowing eyes like that of a deep sea fish. -1 to all ATTEMPT rolls in lit areas for one day.
  7. Chills. Caster feels cold and cannot remain quiet due to chattering teeth. Lasts one day.
  8. A rush of wind and clap of thunder! All NEAR light sources are blown out, but the sound and the lightning has most likely alerted the enemy to your position.
  9. Phase out. You become invisible and invulnerable for 1d4 ROUNDS but cannot interact with the world.
  10. Bodily Transformation! This effect lasts one day. All your equipment magically scales with you and can be used normally. Roll 1d4: (1) You are now half your height. (2) You are now a talking chicken. (3) You are now the opposite gender. (4) You have a third functional limb. You choose.
  11. Nothing seems to have happened. (However, this spell will trigger in 1d4 rounds.)
  12. Major Consequence

MAJOR CONSEQUENCES - 1d10

1. Caster develops a strange odor. -1 to Charisma
  2. Caster’s shadow is now bestial. People who notice don’t trust you.
  3. Caster has permanent disadvantage on this spell OR casting this spell is always HARD.
  4. Dogs always bark at you. Animals in general give you a HARD time.
  5. Accidental Alchemy. One of your items has been turned to gold. It’s now worth a fortune by weight, but probably useless.
  6. Ears mutate. Roll 1d5: (1) ears become pointed; (2) ears fall off (character still hears normally); (3) ears enlarge and look like an elephant’s; (4) ears elongate and look like a donkey’s (character also gains braying laugh); (5) ears shrivel and fold back.
  7. A third eye opens from your forehead. People will treat you differently. -1 CHA, +1 WIS
  8. You are now growing a tail. (If you already had one, you lose a tail.)
  9. Bodily Transformation! This is permanent but may be changed by another more powerful spell. Roll 1d6: (1) character grows scales across his entire body; (2) character grows gills; (3) character sprouts feathers; (4) character develops webbed toes and feet
  10. There is a rift in space. You accidentally summon a DEMON (or foe of at least 4 hearts) of immense power. In most circumstances, the Demon is neutral to all parties (attacking indiscriminately).

I was thinking about a crit fail chart that was more neutral for my base icrpg games. This seems pretty interesting to try.

Id probably go with the take two personally.

This looks really cool. I haven’t had many Crit fails in my games (casters are careful or lucky :laughing:) but I think a table like this would be fun. I’ll let you know if I get any use out of it!

CON save or die. #CSTN8EZ :smiling_imp:

Cool stuff! I did something similar a while back: The Cost of Magic

I like the cascading nature of take 2. The fact that in take 1, minor and major corruptions happen with the same probability just doesn’t seem right to me.