Building Fiction through Deep Relationships

roll-table

Alright shields, strap in, cuz this is a biggun. Below are a set of roll charts I use to develop deep relationships between PCs and NPCs as a way of developing the backstory for PCs, because identifying the dynamics of a relationship - a relationship which thanks to the dice will almost always be incongruous - that tells you a lot about what the PC wants and needs, core aspects of their character the dice help you discover.

Another way to use these tables is to use them to build the dynamic between villains - either masters and lieutenants, or peers. This helps establish avenues by which the party can pursue leverage against one NPC through another, if you give them the opportunity and information necessary to do so. This method also works for PCs, if you want to build bonds between PCs, and your players are down for a little discovery and direction.

None of this is something you’ll want to do at the table; due to the necessity to build the fiction out of the results of the rolls, it’ll be part of your prep and note building, though for PCs, you could certainly do it as part of character creation. Let’s look at the tables, and then I’ll discuss how I use them with real examples.

Roll or choose, and feel free to adjust odds as fits your preference.

1. Female
  2. Male
  3. Eunuch or gender ambiguous

Relative Age PC:

1. Much younger
  2. Younger
  3. About the same age
  4. About the same age
  5. Older
  6. Much older

Kinship to PC:

1. Immediate family member
  2. Extended family member
  3. Families are friends
  4. Families are acquaintances - same social strata
  5. Member of the master/lord’s household - higher social strata
  6. Member of an outcast household - lower social strata
  7. Member of the same profession/guild
  8. Member of a related profession/guild
  9. Member of an unrelated profession/guild
  10. A stranger you are infatuated with/infatuated with you

This person makes the PC feel:

1. Love
  2. Nervous
  3. Protective
  4. Valued
  5. Obligated
  6. Annoyed
  7. Competitive
  8. Frightened
  9. Angry
  10. Happy

The PC makes this person feel:

1. Love
  2. Nervous
  3. Safe
  4. Valued
  5. Obligated
  6. Annoyed
  7. Competitive
  8. Frightened
  9. Angry
  10. Happy

The PC wants this person’s:

1. Love
  2. Admiration
  3. Devotion
  4. Money
  5. Service/labor
  6. Respect
  7. A favor
  8. Protection/security

This person wants from the PC:

1. Love
  2. Devotion
  3. Security
  4. Money
  5. Service/labor
  6. Respect
  7. A favor
  8. Admiration

The PC feels obliged to this person:

1. Whatever they ask
  2. Money
  3. A favor
  4. Devotion
  5. Service
  6. Love/friendship
  7. Protection
  8. Nothing

This person feels that they are obliged to give the PC:

1. Whatever they ask
  2. Money
  3. A favor
  4. Devotion
  5. Service
  6. Love/friendship
  7. Respect
  8. Protection
  9. Release from obligation
  10. Nothing

A Detailed Example of Use

So what does using these tables actually look like? Well, let’s start with a PC - Ringo the Bard. Ringo has STR 1, CON 2, and CHA 3. Let’s learn about him from one of his deepest relationships. Rolling gender results in 3, a eunuch or gender ambiguous person who is (1) much younger than the PC, and is a member of an unrelated profession/guild. That leaves things pretty wide open. Assuming Ringo is a young man, than this NPC is a child, probably younger than 10 - young enough that gender isn’t deeply part of their identity yet, so younger yet. This is a little kid. Being in an unrelated profession doesn’t tell us a lot, but we can assume that this kid’s family isn’t involved in entertainment or dueling.
So what’s the deal here, anyway? We need more information. The next roll tells us that this kid makes Ringo feel happy (10), but Ringo makes this little kid feel nervous (2). OK. Cute kids can make people feel happy, and lots of kids are shy around adults, so let’s keep going to see what more the dice can tell us. What does Ringo want from this kid? The dice say (5) service or labor. Now, you might be inclined to think that’s impossible, and re-roll, but let’s stick with it to see where it goes, and if we can get it to make sense. Maybe it’s a chimney sweep, or something. This kid wants Ringo’s love (1). Wow, so this will probably take some time to work out in your head; I know it will be for me.
The last two rolls might show us the last pieces we need to put this puzzle together, or they might be extraneous. Let’s find out, and then really work to put it together. Ringo feels like he owes this kid (3) a favor; the kid feels like they owe Ringo (4) devotion.
So there’s a little kid, let’s call them Terry. Ringo doesn’t know if they’re a boy or a girl, but really likes seeing them around. I’m imagining a small scrappy urchin who really holds their own, probably by outsmarting the bigger kids. This kid at some point did Ringo a favor - distracted a guard, picked a pocket, etc. and Ringo gave this kid something in short supply in their life - he valued them as a person, so now they’re devoted to Ringo; he’s the closest they’ve got to a caring parent. Ringo, young raconteur that he is, is oblivious to the depth of Terry’s attachment, just thinks that this kid did him a solid, and so he owes this kid one back - and that could lead to a real mismatch and hurt feelings if Ringo ever suggests that they’re square. We’ve also learned a lot about Ringo, and how he moves through the world; he’s kinda transactional, and a little bit oblivious (I thought this was more palatable than being out and out manipulative of a little kid).

The other way to do this, with villain NPCs, you get to skip the first 3 tables. Let’s pretend we’ve got a classic evil wizard villain, Herzog the Diabloist, and his death knight lieutenant, Gauron. So what’s their dynamic like? In this case, just treat Herzog like the PC. Gauron makes Herzog feel (4) valued. So this wizard gets a little boost from having such a mighty lieutenant. Hertzog makes Gauron feel (1) love. Herzog gives Gauron meaning and purpose, and it’s ride or die for the death knight. That’s a really strong bond, and a tough nut for the PCs to crack, and for these purposes, that’s enough for our notes. What they feel obliged to each other might be useful, but it’s not necessary, unless we’re really looking for an angle to give to the PCs. This is also great fuel for the fiction of the origins of these two connected baddies.

Doing this for the PCs would be very similar, but may require more negotiation. The big thing to remember is only use as much as you need/want. The more questions you have, the more helpful the next roll tends to be. I hope this made sense, and using these serves to fuel your creativity and fun at the table.

I’ve seen similar attempts to codify inter-character relationships before, with varying degrees of success, and I like this table! It covers a lot of ground, is specific enough to be useful but vague enough for interpretation. The examples really help show how seemingly problematic results can be tweaked to fit together. I especially appreciate the straightforward presentation of “yeah, you’ll get some weird results, and that’s an opportunity for great stories, not a bug.”

Now I just need to get a game started so I can make an intricate web of villain/NPC relationships. Bwa-ha, bwa-ha. :wink: