Board Games

Can you guys help me in choosing best board game? I don&chess like chess. So avoid giving suggestions of chess. Need new suggestions. .

Go to Board Game Geek website and look at the top-rated, read some reviews, pick something that sounds interesting. Having been an expat in Germany, I like a lot of the German board games. Look at the Spiel Des Jahres winners (game of the year) for past years. Siedler von Catan, Tikal, and Carcassonne are a few classics I own.

There are a massive number of board games to choose from these days, and it can be overwhelming (and expensive) to try to pick games that are a good fit. As suggested above, Board Game Geek is the place to go. I would suggest searching for gateway games in particular. Just a few titles that are good gateway games in my opinion:

Carcassonne (this is an excellent game)
Splendor
Dominion
Coleretto
Kingdomino
No Thanks!
Sagrada
NMBR 9

Ooh definitely got a collection and would be happy to provide suggestion beyond chess :smile: What kind of games do you like already? When I get home I’ll update this post with a list of my favorites.

Small Games
Kloak
Jaipur
Dragons Hoard
No Thanks
Tides of Time
Incan Gold
The Duke
Onitama
Battle Sheep
Tak

Medium Games
Clacks
Sagrada
Tokaido
Obscurio
Azul
Splendor
Mysterium
Obscurio
Acquire

Big Games
Obscurio
Specter Ops
Root
Fury of Dracula
Photosynthesis
The Grimm Forest
Black Fleet
Colosseum

Interestingly enough, I noticed recently that Target has decent selection of board games these days, as does Barnes and Noble, if you prefer in-person shopping and don’t have a comics and games store nearby.

Just played Unmatched the other day. So good.

My favorite board game is one that could have 100 different endings to it if you buy the expansion set. So you are always surprised how it ends. That game is Betrayal at House on the hill. https://www.amazon.com/Wizards-Coast-266330000WOC-Betrayal-House/dp/B003HC9734/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2UFLUV9KJ823O&dchild=1&keywords=betrayal+at+house+on+the+hill&qid=1630736829&sprefix=betr%2Caps%2C244&sr=8-3

“Not chess’s” is not enough to provide good suggestions. What DO you like? How many players are you looking to include?

Card games like “Blink” and “Take 6” can be fun. Check out Hank’s Pirate Crown, too!

Tokaido is a really fun, slow paced game. It’s competitive, but you can’t really directly screw with other players. If that’s your jam, maybe also look at “Race for the Galaxy”.

Gravwell is a neat game. There’s a lot of give-and-take in the simple mechanics, and it plays relatively quick.

Magic Maze is a super fun, silly cooperative game. Players are not allowed to talk, and must coordinate and strategize quickly. It’s not super hard to play, but the silence part makes it a challenge. We always end up laughing really hard.

If you want more competitive, check out King of Tokyo. If you want smaller, easy to transport games, check out Sushi Go, Machi Koro, or Hogger Logger.

Games like Elder Sign or similar Cthulhu games from Fantasy Flight can be a lot of fun, but they have a million little pieces and setup can take 20+ minutes. It’s a commitment to play.

Wavelength is a recent favorite at my house. Very easy to play, and thought provoking. It helps to know the people with which you’re playing, with this game.

There’s a ton of fun little party games, like Utter Nonsense, Monikers, Medium. Codenames can be super fun and easy to play. Outlawed is another recent addition that is super popular at my house.

Hope you find something you like!

You really need to provide way more information about what you do want.
Theme, game length, number of players, complexity.
Are there any games you do like?

Without that information all I can do is point you towards www.boardgamegeek.com and r/boardgames

I recommend the youtube channel “shut up and sit down” they showcase a lot of games and can help you find something up your alley

First ask you friends, family and coworkers if they have any games that you could borrow and try out. Don’t spend money finding out that you don’t like boardgames.

Then. If you know nothing about games, go on boardgamegeek.com (there is a learning curve with the site) and pick a theme first and then search by that theme. Fantasy, SciFi, History, War, Western, Horror, Mystery, Economic, or even a themeless abstract game that isn’t chess.

then decide if you like playing with maps, cards, dice. Some games use all of them, some use just one.

then see how many people you will practically get to play with you. If it’s just you and a partner then stick with games that are best at 2. Also so if it’s a long or short game. That can factor into your enjoyment.

Then start with a game that is relatively light. It usually uses 1 or 2 game mechanisms so that its easier to learn.

Zombicide 6 players dead heads slug fest.
WW2, I play Memoir 44, it’s epic especially with Eastern front expansion on the snow board.
Axis and allies.
My favourites anyway…

I think I’ll address the question directly and state that there is no “best” board game… only the best fit for the table.

How many players? How long does everyone want to play? Cooperative or competitive?

What kind of experience do they want to have? An entertaining night of improvisation is going to require a different solution than an intense, cerebral battle of strategy and tactics.

One of the more effective tools I’ve found to figure out what type of games my table might want is Eight Kinds of Fun. Really helped me in uncovering the core motivations behind the routes of recreation that people pursue.

So! My suggestion is to first consider relationships: Yourself (what do you personally want out of this), others (who do you want at your table, and what do they individually like/dislike), and the table as a whole (how many people? What are the group dynamics like?). Once you have this, I think we’ll be able to provide a much more abbreviated and curated list of suggestions.

Happy gaming!

There are number of games. You can play accordingly which you like the most.

Which game will you recommend me?

none seeing as you’ve made no effort to clarify your request as myself and others have suggested.

I would recommend you to play escape room board games. This is trending in 2021 and many person plays this game. You should also try this once.

What types of games do you like to play?