Another Warp Shell report

playthrough
lfrs

Part two has been added in a post below! Cheers! o7

Friends and I have a couple of hours to play ICRPG during the weekend, this is session three of their adventure, and they got to explore half of the Red Sword in this game. They plan on exploring the rest in a couple of weeks, when they are free to play again.

The crew

Previously, their trusty Sesheyan pilot Alfred bet money he did not own to some stranded, Reptoid pirates. My players did not allow an escalation of violence by offering the pirates a lift… to the Red Sword.

My friend plays Kairo, a red Reptoid wizard who can turn into a bear and his wife (whom I have introduced to RPGs at the beginning of this campaign) his wife plays as a deposed noble named Lady Rita. They travel through the stars in a non-Warp Shell ship called Le Magnifique Magnifico. I intend to reward my players with the powerful ally that is the Warp Shell later on!

Rulesflash

The basic rules of the game are known to them, but I slowly introduce more as long as they find these new rules interesting. The current addition was that of languages: they got to pick 1D2 + INT tongues from a small list I’ve made, each with their own quirks to broaden the fictional universe through implications. If you’re interested in these small, homebrew rules I’ve stolen from somewhere I would be happy to share them! The next thing I’m working on are five paths, appropriate to sci-fi characters. If they don’t like it, which is fine, I’ll just use the items on the list as milestone rewards! :blush:

The slayride

My players have mostly ignored everything about the Darkstar up until the end of the session. They chose to dive to the airlock rather than hook their ship to the Red Sword. Since I am using the Argent Dawn as the map for the Red Sword, they have a choice to hack or peel open the door to the infirmary or proceed left to the unlock door of the science bay.

I would usually deliver more exposition in that room thanks to the curiosity of the players, but they ignored the bodies in the vat tubes, the blinking lights, and the cracked glass to open the chest and continue forward. No biggie, it might be useful later and allow me to expand the scope of the events in the Red Sword.

Battle 1

Their first fight was in the middle of the ship: the escape pods, the chest, and the broken down, portable turret offer a lot of opportunities for both the DM and the players. In this case, Lady Rita used the nano-swarm to repair the turret just in time for the second wave and replace a companion who lost his life…

He’s MORT Jim!

As for Kairo? He turned into a bear and couldn’t hit enemies until I found a plush bear (“nounours” in French Canadian, but you can also use that word to describe a soft giant) a plush bear which I turned into a token for his transformation.

Half of the second wave were supposed to come from the escape pods but the players ejected all of them within the first turn of that revelation. The trap doors left instead of the escape pods allowed the mutants to throw Zot outside the ship and for Kairo to do the same to one of them. Rita saved Zot and the battle was over not too long after.

Battle 2

The party reached the bridge. Krask made Kairo aware of the Red Sword’s setup: that it only required a manual overload of the engines to blast off into the Darkstar. Meanwhile, Rita learned of the Darkstar’s power when a flare of pure evil passed through the ship while she was on her way to the armory… the energy resurrected the heroes’ companion and dealt one point of corrupting damage to Rita.

The ambush happened on the bridge as scripted and the fight was on. Kairo got to cast the spell Molok’s steel on the captain’s mighty chest. The now animated chest crashed the window, as illustrated in the screenshot below, and finished the battle early.

Alfred got the chest, don’t worry!

The session ended when Rita knocked down their mutated ally with the intent to heal him later. Frankly, I don’t think the solution is on a pirate ship nor in a medical lab. The Darkstar’s curse is magical and I have introduced the Zurin monk in an earlier session, so I think that it would be nice for my players to receive the Warp Shell from the monks if they go see them. Especially after my players have rid the universe of such a mighty, evil force!

This is it for now, my players still need to truly figure out what is going on here and they have not explored the armory, the infirmary, nor the engines’ room. I have a lot of fun playing with them and the feeling seems mutual, so I hope to come back to this thread with the last part of the Red Sword report in a couple of weeks!

Take care, roll fun, and God speid! o7

We played again and it was a lot of fun even as the events took a DEADLY turn!

The fridge

After the short recap, the adventurers tied their mutated teammate Krut to a heavy chest in the middle of the ship. They left their automated turret to guard him before heading off to the arsenal room: the temperature had been kept low and a bunch of mutant Reptoids were dead, huddled up together in a corner. They had probably been locked in there during the horrible battle for the ship and my players guessed that the heat coming in from the door would allow them to stir and rise… so they planted a bomb in the heap of bodies and had to use it not too long after.

After that, they re-armed themselves before turning their attention to the med bay…

Gargantua

Immediately as the adventurers entered the room, they saw that all of the medical pods were occupied by murdered, half-mutated Reptoids except for one: that last pod had been ripped at the back from the inside! And then, a rising mass, which twists the metal of the pods into its flesh, roars at the characters! In a panic, the heroes blasted the new monster. Most attack missed, the Gargantua lost a single hit point and felled Krask before my party had to retreat into the corridor!

My players know that the door won’t hold such a beast for long. So they rush to the engines’ room. A wave of extreme heat hits the characters as the door opens : they see the mutants lounging upon the glowing engines. The heroes attempt to sneak in, but Rita trip and yell: the Reptoids are on her within seconds. The mutants both miss their attack, so my heroes activate the consoles: they must get out! It’s the final countdown!

The Gargantua rips through the door of this room after that: Rita is devoured alive by the regular mutants, Molok’s steel is cast on a chest in the room, and Zot is cut in half by the giant Reptoid. A moment later, Kairo forgoes the chance the run away with the hope to heal Rita. He dies from a blast of the creature’s giant canon before he could accomplish his task~

But don’t be sad, they’ve met a most honorable end! Raise your beers to these heroes for their victory over evil! :beers:

The adventure continues!

I described how the heroes’ loyal pilot Alfred, now a mutated and evil Sesheyan, kicked the lever of their ship to run away. The explosion of the Darkstar happened a mere moment after, as the Red Sword disappeared in a flash into the evil entity. With no solar anchor, the planets of the system drifted off into the cold darkness of space. Since we’ve agreed to continue playing in a prehistorical setting, I told my players to make characters for Blood & Snow for the next session: they will be playing on one of the rogue planets created by their feat. One infested with the Darkstar’s twisted spawns! :smiling_imp:

Another change to this setting might be that there is magic, but we’ll see about that one as I’m still thinking about a reason why the planet would be cut-off from the space magic that has been present in the campaign so far. Maybe you’ve got an idea? I’d be glad to know!

In the meantime, take care and roll fun! o7