"Add margin of success..." clarification

question

Hey guys. I’m reading through the C&S rulebook and I’m super excited by what I see. However, I have a question about two of the skills: Bladeguard and Skewering Strike. Both say to add margin of success to DEF and damage, respectively, but I don’t get what this means. I did a word search on the PDF and these two skills seem to be the only place where “margin of success” is mentioned. Can anyone help clarify this? Thanks!

So it means that when using the skill you roll. Say your skill is rank 11. You roll d20 and succeed with a 5. Your margin of success is 6.

Skal!

As @NRod mentioned, that is exactly correct.

It is a roll that is done with the Attack or Defense roll. If you take the example above, you would either add +6 to your defense stat OR you would add +6 to the damage you have rolled in an attack.

Soldier

• DEF 6+3=9
  • Bladeguard 11

Skeleton

• ATK 3

I defend with a d20 using Bladeguard at 11. I roll 5. The difference between my roll (5) and the Baldeguard level (11) is the margin (11 - 5 = 6). That margin is added to my DEF (9 + 6 = 15) and the ATK is subtracted (15 - 3 = 12). If my roll is still under the final DEF target, I’ve succeeded (11 < 12, yay!)

Without Bladeguard my DEF - ATK is 6 (9 - 3 = 6). My roll is above the target (11 > 6), I take attrition, boo!

I think that’s right. :man_shrugging:

Thanks, all! This clears it up. Just one follow-up question. For Bladeguard, if I use it in Phase 2, then I would have that margin of success bonus available to me for the rest of the phases of the round (3-5), then at the top of the next round on Phase 1 that bonus would be gone. Is that the correct understanding?