A Question About DriveThruRPg Printing Quality

Hey Everybody,

I have a question for those of you with experience with publications using DriveThruRPG. I am working on a book that will be printed in black and white and I am doing my own illustrations for it with black line work and a single tone of grey (35%). Do any of you know if the printing process that DTRPG uses prints greyscale darker then the original image? I am concerned that the grey I am using may print out way too dark even though it looks great as an art file. I think they use inkjet for their printing and I am concerned it may print on the saturated side. I have contacted them but it takes forever so I thought I would ask here.

I have over 100 illustration to do and have only finished about 10. So, if I need to make a correction it should be now instead of later, it would be a ridiculous amount of work to adjust after they are all finished.

I appreciate any insight you may have on this!

I don’t know yet, but I will soon. I’m about to have my first print title up by the end of the month (fingers crossed). I can report back after I upload and get a proof in hand.

What do you mean by grey 35%?

Congrats on getting your game finished and into the final stage! That is a huge accomplishment and super exciting! I would certainly appreciate any feedback you have once you get that proof. I also look forward to picking up a copy once it is out!

I am using Affinity Photo to do the illustrations. The line work is all in black but the shading is done in a tone of black. There is a palette selection that is only in grey tones of percentage of black. So in my case I chose 35% black for the shading. However, I have since dropped that down to 30%.

35%25%20Grey%20Example

Thanks, man! Hold the congrats till later, hehe. Still a chunk of work to finish before sending it to print. :blush:
My project is in color so I’m not up to snuff on black and white for print. I’m dealing with cymk profiles, which is a bit tedious to make sure I don’t oversaturate ink levels. I’m working in Affinity too, publisher and photo.
Have you checked their print specs to make sure your document is in compliance?

Well, just getting to the point where you are considering print options is certainly an accomplishment.

I have gone through DriveThru’s print specs and am using their Affinity Publisher template. The specs for the illustrations is fairly straightforward for black and white images. I do have this nervous feeling though that something has been missed. I guess I should re-check again…

This does get me thinking that maybe I should look into color if nothing else for the premium paper. Perhaps I can do something with mostly black and white and minimal color. Hmm.

I published a black and white physical book with a lot of artwork and I found the dynamic range of the greys to be pretty good. The grey in the images below is about 30% (70% lightness) They will send you a proof before you publish, but it does take a while for those to come in and adjusting 100 images doesn’t sound fun!

Oh man, thank you so much for the info here, I really appreciate the photo too! This is good to know since I dropped the grey to 30% and also added another 60% grey for detail work (I found this really helps with the look of the images). The grey in the photo looks really good!

Yes, adjusting 100+ images would be a serious slog.

Thanks again!