I’ve looked through the eight or so threads on 5eHCM and still have some questions I noted down. I don’t think these were answered in the other threads, and if they were, not in a way I understood them. That’s completely on me, but I hope you help anyway, and are very patient with me.
p6 - Size and Mass
When it says, “…used for monster healing,” is it safe to intuit (based on p15) that CR also equals number of HD that can be healed by a monster until it has a long rest, too?
p7 - Skilled and Unskilled
Does the d20+prof+attrib/d20 formula also apply to saving throws, which also benefit from proficiency in 5e?
p8 - Ah, Much Better!
This is not the first or last time I’ll overcomplicate things. Injured goes away when you received 10 HP from “a spell, item or potion.” Does that mean, like the damage received, all 10 HP has to come from a single source, or until you recover a cumulative 10 HP?
p10 - Zymer’s Candle
- “…a single, flickering candle” is per party or per adventurer?
- How long does it last? Until it burns down and out of wick and wax, or is deactivated by being blown out?
- Is it a consumable? If it is, can it be replaced?
(I know these answers probably boil down to “DIY” but I’d love to know Hankerin’s intent, if he had a specific one.)
p11 - Spells, Not Slots
- Does this apply to all classes? Some of the later language about frequency limits (which is different from class to class) makes it unclear.
- Do 1st level spells follow this rule of three? Or, for example, do wizards still get six in their book, and then three every level after?
- CHA casters (specifically paladin, since sorcs and locks aren’t in 5EHCM) default to… CHA? Or since they’re divine-ish, we say WIS?
- I’ve run ICRPG before, and am familiar with room DC, but how should I determine/increase “local cast DC?”
- Does this (local cast DC of 10+) replace attack spells, or side-by-side with them (anything not an attack spell is vs DC, attack spells are versus AC)?
- Saving throw spells: rip out the save and make a roll vs a target (what target) or an opposed roll based on what the save originally was (Caster roll vs [d20+CR] roll)?
p12 - Memorize
Since these are “a few possible solutions” do I read the two different memorization options as global options, or as options for each class group immediately above them? (Intuition says the second, but always up for making it crystal clear.)
p12 - Spell Math
Just so I know I’m on the same page as Hankerin… Level 3 Wizard: knows 9, memorizes 6, casts 4/2 per the PHB?
p13 - Design Theory (not a mechanical question)
Why drop the monk, sorc, and lock? The monk was… OSR-ish, as a set of optional rules, like the psionicist, so I’m not sure it was that? I’m curious as to the whys and wherefores.
p14 - Design Theory (not a mechanical question)
Can/should monsters ever get Upper Hand, or is that (mechanically?) too hardcore for hardcore?
p15 - Challenge Rating Formulae
Monster damage bonuses and spell saves? This follows on to #6 from p11, I guess, since if we solve it for players, we solve it for monsters.
p15 - Challenge Rating Formulae
Fractional CR does not fit the formula listed, unless you’re doing mobs…? Does a fractional CR get +1 since it’s still a CR?
p16 - Hordes
To make sure I’m following: CR2 goblin (because it’s just an example), 6 in the horde is +8 atk, +6+DB dmg, with 20 hp?
p16 - Hordes (Constant)
I don’t follow the example of ghouls at all, or how to appropriately set or adjust the constant. @Paxx suggested the constant be an HP value for each individual unit in the horde, but that doesn’t work with my original example (immediately above). I’ve misunderstood him, or I made a bad example that doesn’t work with 5EHCM. Help?
p20 - Agreed Initiative (Mucking)
I love getting rid of held actions. Bonus actions, though, are important action economy for specific (albeit few) spells, plenty of class features for some of the martials like Rogue and Fighter, who I won’t say live and die by them… but certainly utilize them heavily. What are some proposed solutions or mods for that? @Arc spoke on making some of the things like the Rogue’s dash/disengage part of their move, but that’s one part of a whole.
I guess I’m asking here for a further delve into the ideas since that April topic, if anyone has new ideas.
And finally, a mea culpa. Runehammer is definitely the home of DIY. I’m still the guy who needs Bob Vila to sit down and tutorial me with a nail gun beyond, “Here’s a nail gun, pull the trigger to make it work. You’re set to build a house.” Some people can look (or read) and just… do.
I envy them, and I’m not that smart. So, sorry for eating a lot of your time with a lot of these questions. Still willing to help a guy out?