3D12 Act Structure

inspiration
story
session-prep
pacing

Follow-up to a post I did a while ago about using a three act framework for session prep. This is a hack I’ve used my past few ICRPG games. Has anyone tried anything like this? What do you think? If you try it, let me know how it goes.

None of the below is a rigid rule. And I’d admit I’m experimenting. At my table, it’s been more of an organizational tool for session prep.

Goals would be:

• give sessions a meaningful beginning, middle, and end
  • create rising tension throughout
  • eliminate wishy-washy time and dull moments.

3D12 Act Structure

It’s three act structure paced with three D12 session timers, one d12 timer per act. When I run this, I state up front at the table for the players “things will get weird or escalate when the timer expires.” Maximum transparency I found increases tension - “oh crap, we only have three rounds!”

Roll the first d12 global timer for ACT 1
For the first timer I keep the target low, 10 normally. During the first timer, I normally am looking to open avenues and raise the stakes, add complications. We normally enter our first major planned combat encounter, puzzle, or obstacle. The expiration of the timer coincides with your Inciting Incident, Big Moment No. 1 or Decision Point No. 1.

Second d12 timer is ACT 2
Generally, the target increases to a 12 or so. The main enemy or obstacle reveals itself, everything gets a bit tougher. This is when the cloudy sky gives way to pouring rain or the goblin sentries sound the alarm, etc. We also start closing loops that were opened or started in ACT 1. We should get more answers than questions in this phase. Expiration of the second D12 timer is your Confrontation, Rising Action, Big Moment No. 2, Decision Point No. 2

Third d12 timer is ACT 3
Increase your target if you want to keep applying pressure. I normally max out at 15 here. At this point, I’m trying to make sure the players know what they need to know as we try to get to the climax. When the timer comes up, the session is over using the rules for the “Session End Roll” (p. 82). Expiration of the last timer should coincide with the climax or just after to allow some resolution. A short timer might mean that we have a cliffhanger ending.

That’s really clever. It’s easy to do, easy to remember, and provides some good structure to the players. Well done!

I agree with Skippy. That is a cool concept. Though, using a d12 seems wonky as heck to me. I don’t want to do any prep at all for a scene that might take 1 round. And on the flip side, if my players are in RP mode at all, we sometimes have only 12 rounds the entire session.

To balance this out better for my own sense of pacing and preferences, I’d probably lean more like:

ACT1: d4+2 since this act is usually about getting there, looking for clues, and general player throat clearing.

ACT2: d4+4 since the middle is where most of the engagement and stuff happening actually happens.

ACT3: d4+3 to wrap things up.

Thanks!

Yeah! D12 was mostly personal preference, it’s been my go to “Ultimate” timer for longer timers for a while, so I reached for it when I started doing this. I also personally like the idea of an unmodified, single die roll for timers, so I can roll it and flip the die on the table or VTT to mark the rounds down.

But, just about any other timer solution probably works too, if not better. I bet something like a 2d4 or 2d6 timer could also be good. That gives you a normalized distribution around a consistent, medium length and prevents entirely a result of 1. Or a smaller die will give you a less swingy result, a lot of swing between a 1 and a 12.

Using the way I’ve done it so far, this system in theory could give you a 12 round ACT 1 and then single round ACT 2 and single round ACT 3, which is maybe not desirable… though I’m already having fun imagining what the heck that session looks like. Something like the Hateful Eight, maybe? In practice so far I got workable results. 92% of the time you should get more than a 1.

I’ll try the modified D4 one of these times :smiley:

Everyone has there own method of planning games… I dont think there is a tried and true method, just what works for each of us. SImiliar to bullet journals, each one is unique to the user.

Even Hankerin’s art he calls a journal. His notes and style are all his own. Can we use steal borrow and learn from each others? Of course we can, but whatever works for you is the best method.

I am going to write your method down in my journal as such:
Global Timer (d12): Start the game with a roll to determine the amount of TIME (Moments, Hours, Days) the players have to complete each scene for each session. 1 roll per scene. OPTIONAL: Use EFFORT to note the expected duration. ~ by Kotzsu

Game On!

Good thinking @Lon minimum rounds for each session would be a good thing to include. Using a +# bonus makes the notation easy peasy. love it!