20 Milestone Talents for Index Card RPG

This is my take on combining milestone rewards and tags to create talents that can be used to enhance a PC. There are 20 of them in total on my blog.

Some examples:

THRIFTY: haggling is always EASY for you.
DIRTY: instead of doing damage, you can elect to stun an opponent for one round with a low blow.
SPOOKY: you can talk to ghosts.
SLIPPERY: you always escape from your bonds.

Let me know what you think!

I love Scholarly:

SCHOLARLY: If you pass an INT roll, you know what you’re talking about.

Well, Carl is pretty smart and I don’t know enough to refute him, so he’s probably correct in starting Dragons are so angry because they don’t have a toothbrush. So, boys, grab the push brooms and let’s go brush Durathrax’s teeth.

It’s one of my favourites. With the right player it could be a blast. And I think that’s key — these talents should be handed out to the player who’ll make the most of them, not just as mechanical rewards.

Oh hell yeah. In my coming game with The Ashen Rangers they get to build their Ranger with 2 Tags of their own choice working just like the ones you have here. :herocoin: for you

Thank you! Love to hear more about the tags your group is using.

REALLY like these, will definitely incorporate them.
Except for the Always Attack First one, i need to keep the rotation

That one does undermine the rotation - any thoughts on a variation that would preserve the “quick draw” approach without messing with ICRPG initiative?

Since the initiative can be decided by the players anyway the READY does seem redundant. What about:

READY: You can never be surprised by an attack

Or maybe twist it in an entirely different direction, inspired by Black Hack 2e.

READY: you always have a concealed weapon on your person.

“But Brendan, you’re naked!” :thinking:

But I think it’s cool. Fellow players will go WTF

Maybe just something simple like “on your first turn each combat you get an extra action”

That preserves the intent nicely! Thank you.

I was very excited when I read this but the blog is gone. Has anyone kept these somewhere?

I’m wondering the same. The list seemed like something really fun to read!

I ended up using this sheet which I think contains them or at least some like them. Character Sheet with an inbuilt step-by-step guide, TAGS & MAGIC

Oh, neat. Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi all -
I’m the author of that blog. In an attempt to simplify my life, and shrink my online world I shut it down. Long story.

Anyway, if I can find the original doc I’m happy to share it with you.

Definitely understand the sentiment. Here’s hoping you find it, but if not it’s not the end of the world!

Original blog post copied below for future archivists.

20 Milestone Talents for Index Card Roleplaying Game

ICRPG uses loot as a substitute for levelling. In other words, you are what you own – much like Ben Milton’s Knave (which may be more familiar to the OSR crowd). The better your loot, the more powerful you are.

GMs may also grant milestones – specialized loot custom-made for the PC, granted upon completion of some significant quest or challenge.

This list provides an alternate way to mark milestones using specialized talents. A PC may have no more than one of these at a time, and they do not count as loot for encumbrance purposes – they are tags with mechanical muscle. The GM should offer the talent that best reflects the player’s style of play.

1. HANDY: if you have the components, you can build it.
  2. THRIFTY: haggling is always EASY for you.
  3. DIRTY: instead of doing damage, you can elect to stun an opponent for one round with a low blow.
  4. SPOOKY: you can talk to ghosts.
  5. SLIPPERY: you always escape from your bonds.
  6. SNEAKY: all stealth roles are EASY.
  7. SCHOLARLY: If you pass an INT roll, you know what you’re talking about.
  8. ICY: You are immune to fear.
  9. EDGY: CHR rolls are EASY when you try to intimidate someone.
  10. GORY: Your attacks are so violent they do an additional 1D4 damage. You must describe that damage in loving detail.
  11. LUCKY: You may re-roll any roll once per session.
  12. READY: You attack twice on your first turn.
  13. BRAWNY: All STR rolls are easy.
  14. DEADLY: a natural 20 does 1d20 ultimate damage once per session.
  15. HEARTY: You shrug off 1d10 points of damage once per combat.
  16. STEADY: Your first shot with a ranged weapon is always EASY.
  17. TRICKY: Sleight of hand, pick pocketing and cheating at cards is EASY.
  18. FOOLHARDY: When you attempt a really reckless stunt (“Hold my beer”) it’s an EASY roll.
  19. PREDATORY: Tracking and hunting rolls vs WIS are EASY.
  20. BLOODTHIRSTY: If your strike kills an opponent, you automatically get a second attack.