Original blog post copied below for future archivists.
20 Milestone Talents for Index Card Roleplaying Game
ICRPG uses loot as a substitute for levelling. In other words, you are what you own – much like Ben Milton’s Knave (which may be more familiar to the OSR crowd). The better your loot, the more powerful you are.
GMs may also grant milestones – specialized loot custom-made for the PC, granted upon completion of some significant quest or challenge.
This list provides an alternate way to mark milestones using specialized talents. A PC may have no more than one of these at a time, and they do not count as loot for encumbrance purposes – they are tags with mechanical muscle. The GM should offer the talent that best reflects the player’s style of play.
- HANDY: if you have the components, you can build it.
- THRIFTY: haggling is always EASY for you.
- DIRTY: instead of doing damage, you can elect to stun an opponent for one round with a low blow.
- SPOOKY: you can talk to ghosts.
- SLIPPERY: you always escape from your bonds.
- SNEAKY: all stealth roles are EASY.
- SCHOLARLY: If you pass an INT roll, you know what you’re talking about.
- ICY: You are immune to fear.
- EDGY: CHR rolls are EASY when you try to intimidate someone.
- GORY: Your attacks are so violent they do an additional 1D4 damage. You must describe that damage in loving detail.
- LUCKY: You may re-roll any roll once per session.
- READY: You attack twice on your first turn.
- BRAWNY: All STR rolls are easy.
- DEADLY: a natural 20 does 1d20 ultimate damage once per session.
- HEARTY: You shrug off 1d10 points of damage once per combat.
- STEADY: Your first shot with a ranged weapon is always EASY.
- TRICKY: Sleight of hand, pick pocketing and cheating at cards is EASY.
- FOOLHARDY: When you attempt a really reckless stunt (“Hold my beer”) it’s an EASY roll.
- PREDATORY: Tracking and hunting rolls vs WIS are EASY.
- BLOODTHIRSTY: If your strike kills an opponent, you automatically get a second attack.