West Marches and Sandbox dming sources and advices

question

Hello everyone,

As you know, I’m building an app based on these designs to quickly generate Westmarches campaigns.

So, I was wondering if any of you had good resources for Westmarches or sandbox campaigns. I already have some resources that I turn to extract great design for this kind of campaign, such as Kingmaker and The Forbidden Lands, but do you have any others in mind?

What kind of resources are you looking for? The most straightforward resource for sandbox play are nested wilderness encounter tables (You are in a … You meet a … Doing … ). But they are easy to make, and you mention “design” so I assume you’re looking for something more elaborate?

By design, i mean structure.
It will be easier to explain with an example :
In the first book of the Pathfinder Kingmaker campaign, the party has to explore and take control of a region no kingdom has yet been able to annex. They also protect an outpost from the bandits and explore the region hex by hex to finally beat the bandit lord which conclude the first book.

The structure is simple and effective : explore and fight until the region is rid of its threats.

In Forbidden Land, the campaign is really open and the players do whatever they want (almost) until bits by bits being led to discover the “main quest”. The campaign conclude when the party beats the main threat in the region.

The design of this campaign (The Raven’s Purge) revolve around adventure sites and events that leads to a final adventure site.

I don’t know if this is well explained but i’m seeking variation of those open-world ttrpg campaign to use them as framework for an AI to generate content for the GM to edit or run as is.

Perhaps it’s still not what you’re looking for, but some time-tested classics include: finding something (for example a treasure), gather gold and power, or mapping out a region for an influential patron.

Carcosa is very influential, and much debated, so worth checking out.

Hidden Kingdom is a very cool game, with great encounter tables: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/177371/hidden-kingdom

I also like Rosewood Highlands - great mini adventures, and nice world building: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/publisher/11655/rosethrone-publishing/category/36289/the-rosewood-highlands

Again, this might not be what you’re after, but I think you can find a lot of inspiration by picking apart either of the above suggestions to see how they’re designed.

Oh cool, i’ll check those. Thanks !

Yeah, i didn’t though about it but there is Freebooters on the frontier for Dungeon World that could also help. :slight_smile: