Was I using the distance concept the wrong way? How far is FAR?

Here is how we interpret the distance thing:

Close = engaged combat. fists, knife, short sword, mace… You can reach out and touch. Characters can whisper to each other.

Near = two handed weapon distance. Spear, halberd, 10’ pole, long sword, lance, whip… You can reach them with a physical extension. Characters can speak at normal volumes.

Far = anything further than near. Ranged weapons, bows cross bows, sling, etc. Characters need to raise their voice or shout.

For vehicles or ships: Close, you can see the faces in detail on the other ship. Near, you can see the silhouettes but not facial expressions. Far, everything else.

I thought the rule book was pretty clear on how they interact with actions, @Skippy already posted those.

JMHO

Yes, I understand that. Sorry, but that doesn’t answer the question “where do this comes from?”.

I think it depends on how you design the exact encounter. It’s just a few GM bullets so different people can imagine it differently. And as awesome as it is it doesn’t helping us to find out how far can I move when moving FAR :slight_smile:

As I said before I’m now translating ICRPG CORE rulebook to my native language. So now it’s not about my interpretation but about what true intentions of this rule are. That’s why I’m here sounding a bit like a broken record, sorry :slight_smile: (you’re awesome community btw, very helping)

That makes total sense. Never thought about that.

Yeap, that’s how we’re playing now. Only without the bio-form restrictions.

If you add mobile PDF in the mix full picture is starting to reveal itself. Only core rulebook unfortunately has pretty vague description

So you also have no restrictions on how far you can move in a single action?

Most European medieval spears where 7~10 feet(2.3 to 3.3 meters) but 20 foot spears in the greek Phalanx where not uncommon.
All that said a miniature contesting a 4x4 inch space is easier to wrap your head around than than a 10x10 inch space.

It comes from the horse’s mouth, which is Hank (Runehammer), the creator of ICRPG. That’s how he plays it and everyone else mostly does the same. What FAR is isn’t stated properly in any of the books, so your confusion is totally warranted.

Like many people have said, these distances, CLOSE, NEAR and FAR are what the GM decides. What is written or not written in the books are just glorified suggestions. I wrote in my previous post how the community at large interpret those rules.

Oh, ok. Now it makes total sense. Unfortunately I haven’t seen enough of his actual plays so I didn’t knew that, sorry. I watched every single video when the channel was called “drunkens & dragons” but I’m not that familiar with the recent ones :slight_smile:

Sounds legit. Looks like now I need somehow translate this message to my native language without it sounding confusing.
Thanks again man!

No need to be sorry. That movement stuff is a mystery to every newcomer, lol.

You can translate my descriptions above and add that the actual distances of NEAR and FAR are defined by the GM and can be different for each encounter/situation.

The little plastic things moving around on that foam and cardboard thing in front of us is just a visual aid, and how far the little plastic things can move from here to there on the foam and cardboard thing is an abstraction. In our shared mental space, we should see a Big, Beefy dude jumping down from the top of a carriage, doing an uppercut on a Vampire, rushing across the road swinging a big ass mace and smashing it into the face of a Werewolf. It was a “NEAR” to run from where the Vampire was to where the Werewolf was, we don’t need to worry about if it was 25 feet or 30 feet. What would have been not awesome would have been to not smash the Werewolf in the face, and it’s very important to not let the fiddly bits stop the awesome.