Some basic rules questions

question

I just got ICRPG and as I was reading through the core rule book I’ve found a few things that I haven’t seen good explanations for.

1. Critical Hits/Misses: Lot’s of specific rules refer to (and provide ranges for) these, but there’s no general definition that I can see. Is it safe to assume that any roll of 20 or more is a critical hit, and any roll of 1 is a critical miss, where the range isn’t specified anywhere else - or are criticals only supposed to occur when using the LOOT or SPELL that specifically mentions them.

2. Scouting Rolls: This is another one that comes up quite often. I presume it is supposed to be a WIS check, since some of the LOOT adds to WIS when you are using it for scouting purposes.

3. Default TARGETs: Is 10 or 12 considered to be the “default” TARGET?

These are the way I play them, other may have other opinions:

1. Critical Hits happen when you roll a natural 20 on a d20, unless LOOT gives you more specific rules like “in a 19 or 20”.

2. Scouting rolls are typically WIS checks. But its up to the GM to make the call.

3. There is no default target. But a 10 or 12 is a good starting place. It really depends on how difficult the encounter is meant to be. Again, GM’s decision. There was a thread discussion on this a few months ago. That TARGET

Welcome and … Game On!

I’m sure a lot of people will say to go with what works for you, but I’ll suggest the rules as I see them.

1. Crits happen on ANY roll of natural 20 (without modifiers) and Crit Fails are ANY natural 1’s. Obviously the GM will decide what happens unless stated on the spell, etc.

2. I count Scouting as any Perception (WIS) roll the player makes if they say they are “scouting ahead” or “keeping watch”.

3. I’m not 100% but I think 12 is default with 9 being EASY and 15 being HARD.

1. Yes. A natural 20 is a critical hit (unless there is a piece of loot that says otherwise; eg, critical on an 18, 19, or 20). A natural 1 is an automatic failure, and then the rules have you roll again to “confirm the blunder.” If you roll a second natural 1, something bad happens. On this point, though, for those of us who have been playing for a while, we have confirmed blunders with a d12 or even a d6 to ensure a second 1 comes up more often, but honestly, I think we’re gravitating toward letting a natural 1 just be a critical failure. You fail, and something bad happens without a confirmation. On that issue, treat a 1 as you see fit.

2. Yes, you scout with WIS.

3. A good default target is 12, though for new characters, anything 10 to 12 works fine. You may have to adjust periodically depending on how well your group is doing.

I did wonder if it was natural dice values or total score for criticals, mainly for the reason that a natural 20 triggers your ultimate die (D12) for Attempts, which presumably would be on top of any narrative effect of scoring awesome.

Oh, and, welcome to the Shield Wall @Asayami! We’re always glad to have new members!! :smiley:

Thanks. I’m liking the look of ICRPG so far, having played Mothership for a few months. Simple, hackable and modular.

Exactly. I’ve run all kinds of games using this ruleset, including Aliens, Starship Troopers, Robotech, a Guardians of the Galaxy spoof, Starfinder, general sci-fi, high fantasy, low fantasy, dark fantasy, horror, cyberpunk, and the weird west. You can literally imprint your favorite setting and use the rules to make it come to life.