I can't run 5e anymore

Hey folks, been a while since I last posted.

So last year I found a gaming club that’s very active and saw a chance to play some dnd regularly with people I didn’t have to force to play lol.

After a while the gm quit and I immediately stepped into the spot as being a GM is where I find my fun in the hobby.

We’re over 20 sessions in, 6 people all level 6 and I’ve had enough. For months I’ve been trying to give 5e a real good go and I cant anymore. Last week i had that feeling when youre a kid and realise its sunday and you got school in the morning. Saw it as a sign to take the week off.

I Told my group today 5e was killing my vibe and there was only 2 of the party willing to play other systems. So now one player is going to gm for a few weeks to see if I feel refreshed, I was told to go make a character and join as a player again. 20mins looking at 5e players handbook and I’m so done.

The group is amazing and it took me 2 years of observing the hobby from the outside before i finally got regular games, but it looks like my time with that group may be over and I’ll be setting up a new table.

It’s kind of a bummer.
Tonight I’ll be telling my group I’m going to make a new table tomorrow night (probably just 2players as people are all afraid to drift from 5e).

Tonight I will be flicking through my icrpgME and given the fact I’ve been playing timesplitters a lot recently, come up with some time travelling goodness.

UPDATE:
I didn’t attend club, I spoke to the group and informed them I’ll be back next week running a new campaign with a different system and if they want to play they can.

I Told them my rough idea is aliens in future are using these power crystals to destroy earth, we have a machine that can jump people between dimensions and time.
The mission is to retrieve power crystals from various settings before the aliens do.

Setting is starting in Sci fi and going to ww2, mad max, pirate theme, and another other from various media that players want an adventure in.
I need a balls to the wall style of play for a bit lol.

After that mini campaign is done I’ll gladly go back to our original setting in fantasy land and carry on but using icrpg.

Thanks for all your responses.

Sorry to hear bud. A solid core game group can be very important, but tough if not everyone is digging the same system. Good luck with the new icrpg game. You may get some converts when they see how smooth your game is running. If you ever run games on the VTT give me a shout. I’m actually working on convincing/ converting my long time table top group to icrpg so I’m always looking for icrpg experience.

You’re following your heart there and that’s a good thing even though you have to leave some good folks behind. I am in a 5e game as a player but after several months I’m pretty much done (there are multiple factors in this but the system is the main turn off), so I totally get your perspective there. I have nothing against 5e or the folks who enjoy it, it’s just not a good fit for me. You are in a good place here in Runehammeria though! Good luck with the new group, I’m sure things will work out just fine in the long run!

Have you offered to run a ICRPG one shot, maybe on an off-week?
I prefer ICRPG, but I did find that 5e Hardcore Mode capped at level five can be a lot of fun to GM and play. My only change for Hardcore Mode is that instead of not adding Con bonuses to player HP, I cap the HP at level 3 but level to 5.

Agreed. And no 5e hate on my part, whatever system is working for the group. Have never tried 5e actually.

Meaning no offense to your group, but they should at least give ICRPG (or whatever other system) a shot if they are your friends. Frame it that way “Hey, I get it, but I want to hang out with you all and would be interested in doing something else. Since I am the GM would you give it a shot with me? No hard feelings if not, I just think you will all really like it.”

Ask if they would be interested in a different genre as well. Try playing Warp Shell or Altered State (Which is amazing) instead of classic fantasy.

I am also done with 5e as a GM. But I have to say that I am currently playing in a 5e game and what makes it fun is hanging with friends, not the system. So maybe if you get your group on board for running a different system (Even just the two people) you should try being a player with the current group for a bit. If character creation is burning you out, just pick the simplest pre-gen you can find. For example the Fighter Champion subclass is super fun and because its so simple you get to flex your brain and come up with wild things to do. I think you might surprise yourself if a lot of the cognitive load is taken off your shoulders.

That all being said, nothing wrong with taking a few weeks off! If you still want to see your group suggest playing a board game instead of a TTRPG.

Sparing the gory details, last year I effectively lost an entire gaming table of friends, some of whom I’ve played with for more than 20 years. It stemmed from me urging them to try out some other games outside of 5e, followed by feet dragging, lies, and reframing of my words and my motives. These factors brewed into an explosion that was 100% out of control. I’m still very hurt by the loss, mostly because it was completely avoidable. :weary:

Some people are rigid and simply will not hear alternative points of view, and that definitely is true in our RPG community.

In spite of it being completely normal to want to try or share a new game with your group, my advice is to tread carefully. :grimacing:

So how did it go? Would love to hear how everything ended up. It makes me sad when people wont even try new things and then get angry about it.

I hope the new game is going good. I decided to roll back certain things to way old D&D and use only certain aspects of 5e. I don’t like a lot of things about 5e…

Update:
I didn’t attend club, I spoke to the group and informed them I’ll be back next week running a new campaign with a different system and if they want to play they can.

I Told them my rough idea is aliens in future are using these power crystals to destroy earth, we have a machine that can jump people between dimensions and time.
The mission is to retrieve power crystals from various settings before the aliens do.

Setting is starting in Sci fi and going to ww2, mad max, pirate theme, and another other from various media that players want an adventure in.
I need a balls to the wall style of play for a bit lol.

After that mini campaign is done I’ll gladly go back to our original setting in fantasy land and carry on but using icrpg.

Thanks for all your responses.

So sorry to hear that! Hopefully, things can be mended where your all communicating again. Sucks that some people are so closed to new things. Keep us posted, hoping for the best for you!

A bit ago, I was lamenting to the legendary @Khan on here that my group had fallen apart, largely due to a lot of childish behavior outside of my control (it amazes me still in this hobby how many folks don’t behave like adults). And he gave me one of the best pieces of advice I have ever heard: You found that last group; you’ll find a new one.

And sure enough. I started a campaign and got some folks to join, and the next thing you know, we blinked and two years of amazing campaigns have gone by. Now, I am at the table with players and DMs that are way more like me in terms of personality, taste, and approach, and the games have been stellar.

Kind of like some relationships that fall through, I think it’s okay to be a little choosy in terms of your personal happiness. There’s nothing worse than wasting your time on people who drain you or who make way more withdrawals than deposits. So, find and cultivate folks that are invested the same way you are, and I promise that the time spent together will be epic, and you’ll be better for it in the long run.

To supplement what Alex said…

One of the virtues I’ve learned in this life: Try not to change people, no matter how long a past you have with them or how much you love them. It. Won’t. Work. Change can only come from within and that it is up to that person; you have no power over that. It is best to accept this and act accordingly.

We all know this, but sometimes still fail to apply it in our lives. We are only human.

What we can do instead is to change ourselves and who we surround ourselves with. “Birds of a feather flock together” is a powerful nugget of wisdom. Try to find birds you can get along, and you and everyone around you will be much more happier and fulfilled.

I know how difficult it is to let go of someone with whom you have a long and meaningful history, but sometimes it is the only good option for you. Take care of you first, and only then take care of other people.

This sounds like a relationship advice and it is, just not limited to the opposing sex. Relationships truly define who we are.

First day in the garden in ages.
Coffee, icrpg and a notebook.
Excited for Thursday night for the first time in a long time.

Stars in my pocket like grains of sand: The End