Adding skills to ICRPG... Sort of

Haha fair enough, I’ve not played FATE. Yeah it would require some balancing on the fly, I guess it depends on your playstyle and group. It is open to abuse obviously.

But an “I win” tag would be classed as super super general, so it yields a +0 bonus in all situations :grin:

yeah. sounds like the players need to experience this game. after you have a few games under your belt, you’ll understand how to build mechanics.

If it doesn’t work, plug in ICRPG into your D&D to simplify your workload and lower the numbers for HP and damage.

If players want to play in my games, I try to make the game as fun as possible for me as well, and that’s by simplifying the rules to stay on the storyline

I stand by this statement
I did a full on house rules homebrew shit for our Symbaroum campaign, but then did it raw with only an addition with spells and caster types. CORE is dope shit. Try it then expand.
Or maybe it’s just me sucking at hombrew xD

I ran into the exact same dilemma. Two guys… one is huge and is a tank build… viking, 6’6" tall and 280lbs kind of big. The other is 6’ tall and raised as a lumberjack type. Both are strong as a result so both of them put stats into strength and both had +3 strength at the startup. On paper and in the game… they are the same but actually they are not the same at all. A 100lb person that can lift half their body weight can lift 50lbs. A person that is 300lbs and can lift half their body weight can lift 150lbs. And yet… statistically they can both lift 50%. Same but not the same. My fix with regarding skills was to allow the players to add any skill they can come up with and start them at +1 each. Cooking (int), swimming (Dex), horse riding (Dex), astrology (Int), First aid (wis) and so on. I also created an xp level up system. Skills can level up to a max of 3 and traits such as Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom max out at 5. When you are doing something… if you have a skill that is related… you add your skill level to the appropriate trait level for a max possible of 8. With this in place, players fine tuned their players a bit further. A powerful character like mentioned could then have a skill such as powerlifting and as such… add +3 max powerlifting to their max trait of strength and have a +8 total while the other guy might be max strength +5 but that’s it.

I suspect it’s because of this that in the 70’s the skills were created as were all the other charts. Players kept saying things like “how can my halfling have the same strength stat as my huge half orc barbarian?” and they are right… how?

I know that as a player, even if I’m not a thief and I’m a wizard… I still might like to try my hand at disarming a trap one day and if my stat is the same as the rogues… why not right? But… if the rogue has lock pick as a skill and it’s under agility… they can level up to +8 but the wizard would probably be spending their level up points in magic or constitution for more HP’s and not lock picking. It’s over time through the level up’s and skills that the players start to evolve into their classes.

Because the singular “STR” stat is an abstraction of the totality of physical characteristics of the character. A 15 STR could be represented in-game as a body builder with massive biceps or as a professional cyclist with thick thigh muscles or as a dock worker who does back-breaking work all day long or a skinny street urchin who scraps all day with bullies.

The fact that the game mechanics abstract the different kinds of physical strength into a singular stat, and then use that stat to adjudicate all kinds of wildly different strength-related things (bend bars, lift gates, push people down, carry heavy loads, whatever) is a shortcoming. It requires some real imagination from the GM to design and describe scenarios where different kinds of physical strength are relevant, and then the players need to creatively imagine how or even if their 15 STR character has the minerals for that kind of task.

This is an issue that we run into but can rectified with FICTION in the game.

This is really brought up in DUNGEON WORLD and they talk about what can actually happen based on the world.

If I had a Half-Orc and a halfling with +3 STR, I would also check their backgrounds or classes. If they are both warriors and a Great Sword came to play that has the tag HUGE, I would have the Half-Orc be able to wield it with two hands and maybe it would cost 2 equipped or carried slots to use.

The Halfling would not be able to use that same sword and I would say that they would have to spend 3-4 slots to carry it if they wanted to lug it around.

And if a giant was there, 1 slot and 1 handed with no issues and when it swings it, it is a devastating blow causing many injuries and broken armors