XDZ is Insane!

xdz

Wow. Just Wow. XDZ is an insane game and a blast to play. Running it as the GM, I was on the edge of my seat as I watched XENOS spawn, Commando fights for survival, and luck turn sour. Here are some of the highlights of this epic tale:

The first death of the night after being swarmed by a group of 8 XENOS. They managed to kill 6 of them before one Commando died.

After being ambushed and rushed by a group of XENOS, one player chose to close a door, separating their square (living one member to face the larger group, while they quickly worked to Restore Power in the Loading Bay and defend the mini-nuke. Unfortunately, the XENOS still managed to get in.

One of the Escalations caused some minor explosions throughout the ship, but luckily one of the explosions blew up a swarm of about 16 XENOS in the Sump area. It gave the team enough time to get the nuke in place.

But a group of 21 XENOS who were on the hunt, quickly filled in the vacant space and made a bee-line for the squad through the crawlspace, while the team finished arming the nuke and rushing to the Escape Pod.

This epic adventure takes a turn for the worst right as the end because as the team rushed to the escape pod, they failed to notice some hidden XENOS in the garage. When they finally made their appearance, several of the Commandos failed their FEAR roll and were frozen with fear.

This lead to the tragedy of the night as 8 more XENOS spawned into the GARAGE, where most of the Commandos stood frozen for a ROUND. As they rolled to resist DEATH, each fell like dominos. Overpowered by the XENOS, only one remained, separated from the group (and escape pod) by a sea of XENOS and a ticking nuke just a few rooms away.

In a final act of defiance, the lone Commando pulled out a grenade and rushed into the gaping mouths of the XENOS, taking out a majority of them and dying in the process. The remaining Commandos ejected from the ship as they watched their friend die and the ship become engulfed in a nuclear blast.

Awesome! Sounds like an epic night of play!! :smiley:

Oh wow, that looks awesome! I love seeing all those baddies!

I really like your space background image and the target room number. Would you share them?

Thanks! The background is just a Dark Space background image I found on Google.

https://images.app.goo.gl/QQpRimYzpNXvziZq5

The timers are from the online kit provided in CORE on DriveThruRPG.

Hi folks, I am totally new here so I am not sure if this violates any rules(by being a necro).

I would just like to know how exactly you set this up? Which VTT you used? The coloring of the map/cards? Are all the tokens included in the online kit?

Sorry for asking so many questions

No worries, fellow Shield! Happy to have you here.

So the individual rooms were colored assets from Xeno Dead Zone. Hank colorized them and provided them on Patreon (and I’m pretty sure for anyone who bought XDZ as a free update).

The majority of the tokens were from the XDZ online kit. Some them though were custom that I made or came from other kits (mostly Altered State, if I remember correctly).

I was using the RHVTT that was available to IMMORTALS, at the time.

Then finally, I put together the background, area text, etc… in Affinity Photo and saved them as individual background image. I shared those in a post here: An XDZ Starship using Colored Maps

If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out. I’m happy to help out!

This link might help - Xeno Dead Zone on DriveThruRPG

Thank you guys very much!
Waiting for my salary to drop, then I’m getting all the ICRPG I can from drivethru, I can’t wait!

Also you will save a few dollars on ICRPG extras if you subscribe to hanks patreon page.
There are several extras including XDZ on there free for patrons.

Not to mention access to the excellent mainframe podcast and access to the discord if you like such things