When attacked, roll DEF or DEX?

Hey friends!
Just reading through the Master Edition and I’m a little confused. When I’m attacked by enemies what stat am I supposed to roll? DEX or DEF? Which leads me into a second question, what’s the difference between the two? From what I think it’s supposed to be, I roll DEF when attacked, and DEX is more for evading thing non combat related? Like a cave-in or being shot at?

Monsters make an attack roll against your defense.

(With their Strength (STR))

Yeah so if they attack you, it’s the monster rolling against your DEF so 10+DEF. And I believe it says in there somewhere that when the monster unleashes an area of effect attack the GM can call for either a DEX/DEF roll to avoid, halve, or resist the damage. The point being that high CON players can avoid the damage without having a high DEX.

The answer is based on the context, and your call as a GM. The target for a standard attack (sword chop, crossbow bolt, etc.) is an attack against the PC’s DEF as the target; however, if there is an attack which may be dodged, but armor you’ve decided is not a factor - a ray, armor piercing missile, falling boulder, etc. you as the GM may call for the PCs affected to beat the room TN rolling a test of DEX. Exactly when it’s called for, or how to do it is up to you.