What’s the Difference?

icrpg-magic

One of my players has been really enjoying Blood Magic and delving deeper into that vein (:yum:) of awesomeness! Anyway, we were looking over the spells and could not figure out for the life of us what the significant difference was between BLOOD MIST (Level 1 Blood) and TRANSFUSION (Level 2 Blood).

Any ideas or is just thematic differences with the same effect?

Both spells have:
Target takes 1d8 MAGIC per level
Recipient receives that many HP
Instant
Single/Near

Mode of acquisition is the only mechanical difference I can see.

I think the target for Level II Transfusion is two within eyesight and near each other.

Alright, so we weren’t completely off our rocker thinking they were similar. But that begs the question, of whether or not they SHOULD be that similar. Shouldn’t the spells BLOOD MIST and TRANSFUSION be different? I think I’ll end up tweaking Blood Mist to be something a little more damaged focused and Transfusion to remain a healing option. That is unless any one else has some great ideas :slight_smile:

Thematically, it feels like Blood Mist should be some sort of AOE, like a diffused distribution of health from Target to all Allies (1d8 HP spread as evenly as possible across Allies in the area).

Additionally, it could also serve to capture the “story” of skill development, with the fine control over where the life force goes not yet having been achieved, so it just emanates out in a cloud from Target. Transfusion would represent greater mastery over the ability, with user being able to more precisely direct the life force (1d8 spread across target(s) of the caster’s choice).