Strength based defense means you parry the enemies attack or catch their weapon.
Dexterity based defense means you nimbly dodge out if the way.
Constitution based defense means you shrug off their blow or they don’t pierce your thick skin.
Intelligence based defense means that you use your background knowledge of this type of enemy to predict what they’re going to do.
Wisdom based defense means you quickly notice where they’re going to strike next and move out of the way accordingly.
Charisma based defense means that you weave a distracting string of words that throw the enemy off and cause them to miss.
Pros of this method:
- Way more flavor to the different character styles.
- Great opportunities for fun role-play.
- No more confusion for why characters can’t add dex to their defense.
Cons of this method.
- Obviously constitution would need a rework, something like +2 hp per point in con.
- Everybody would have the same chance of dodging an attack.
So, even though balance would be thrown away for the sake of fun, isn’t that what this game is all about? Let me know your thoughts.