What edition do I have? Am I good?

question

Back in 2017, a friend showed me ICRPG and I thought it looked neat. I bought the book in pdf format, and even though I’ve looked through it every now and then I never really had the opportunity to play it. D&D 5e is the game I play mostly with my group as everyone has a comfort level with it, and also all the reasons people usually give for playing 5e. No complaints, I enjoy 5e too.

I have two kids and over the years I’ve run a few one-shot games using simple one-page games like Honey Heist, etc… I decided recently that I want to try and run a longer form game so… in comes ICRPG. I let them choose a setting (Minecraft) and I got to work home-brewing and re-skinning stuff so that it fits the world. All of this to ask… if I bought the book in 2017, do I have first edition rules? Should I buy the latest edition? There seems to be some confusion with 2e, 3e, and the 2e QuickStart (which is actually 3e? 2.5e? Wha?)

Am I good?

If I’m not mistaken, and assuming you bought it through Drive Thru RPG, I’m pretty sure it updates automatically. Redownload it and you should have a guaranteed 2nd ed. The 2.5 mod is optional but free, and arguably is even a stand alone game.

Oh wow! Thank you so much! Now, what are the major differences I should expect? I’ve done a “session zero” where we made characters and some light RP where they didn’t have to roll any dice. Do I just continue on or is it worth convert up to the latest rules?

I doubt you have much to “convert”, but even if you decided to re-do a session 0, the process of making a character is so quick, its just a blink really.

You can keep what toons you have and just run with the current rule-set. (2E quickstart is basically what was intended for 3E).

If you bought the pdf on drivethru, you will have ALL the versions because Hank is THAT awesome.

ICRPG CORE 2e and the 2e QuickStart are the latest versions of the rules (and pretty much what we are all using). If you’re still playing with first edition (first of all, awesome), the biggest changes are that Effort has been scaled back for non-combat tasks (basically, you only require effort as a DM when you think a task requires time to complete or you want to slow down your players). Two, learning requirements for spells and other loot have been removed completely. The spell list is expanded and refined, as are the loot tables and monster section. And then the 2e QuickStart (it’s free!) takes character creation to whole new level with starting gear, abilities, defense, and stat assignment. I’d recommend the upgrade, just so we’re all speaking a common language.

I went to DriveThruRPG and I did indeed purchase it there. I’ve downloaded all the latest stuff! This is so awesome! Thank you all! I had no idea. lol

Hank is the most generous content creator I know.