We didn't know what we were doing, but we had fun

Well, today was my first time as GM. And my first time playing ICRPG. And my first time playing any TTRPG. I played with my wife and two kids (6 and 3). Yeah, I know… I had no idea how it would go, but I wanted to give it a shot.

Rather than start with Alfheim or Warp Shell, I wanted pick a setting that would already be familiar to my family, for a quicker ramp up time. So, I put together spells, potions, monsters and loot all from the wizarding world of Harry Potter. I’ve been reading the books to my 6 year old daughter, and we’ve all watched the first few movies. It took a while to put these together, but I think it paid off in getting started playing.

I made a few minor modifications to the ICRPG rules to fit the theme. In place of armor, I just had monsters roll against the target for the room. I also decided that each player character could have a pet (owl, cat, rat or toad), which basically worked similar to loot, I guess. Each animal type had one or two useful things they could do in certain situations. That seemed to play pretty well.

I just wanted to get our feet wet and see how it went, so we played through one “room” that consisted of Hagrid’s cabin and the immediate surrounding area, into the edge of the forest. There were blast-ended skrewts to deal with in the pumpkin patch, and Fang had to be rescued from dementors in the edge of the forest. They came up with ideas I hadn’t expected, and we had a lot of fun and laughs. We were really winging it, but my daughter had a blast and wants to play again tomorrow to continue the story that ended in a cliffhanger.

I just want to say thanks to everybody who posts here and puts stuff on YouTube. I’ve watched so many Runehammer videos and several Roll for Effort vids, and spent hours reading on here, in addition to reading most of the Core ICRPG book (hard to say exactly, as I’m jumping around in it). I’ve learned a lot, and I have a lot to learn.

Strength, honor and butterbeer!

i love the idea of doing ICRPG in the Harry Potter universe! Take a Hero Coin my friend! you have earned it! this sounds like a super fun night of game play, and good job including your kids. I feel like TTRPG’s are great tools to help teach children social skills.

Good job! I have been playing Hero Kids with my 4 year old and he has a lot of fun. Check that out if you want something tailored more to children, with premade adventures.

Also look at Amazing Tales, which I played with my boy when he was 3. It is a very rules light system that a 3 year old can understand and you can adapt into any setting. Want Ironman to come to Hogwarts? Amazing Tales can handle that.

Both on Drive Thru

Fantastic! I am really glad you and your family had a ton of fun!!! That’s awesome that you reskinned ICRPG with Harry Potter. Really great.

That’s amazing! I love Harry Potter, you have inspired me to do the same. Really looking forward to casting all sorts of spells :nerd_face::zap:“Expelliarmus!”

Have a gigglewater on me!

Congrats on jumping into GM’ing! Runehammer has a knack of getting you to try things you would have never tried otherwise (in a good way) :star_struck:

That’s awesome! I love your artwork as well. :sunglasses:

Thanks, all! It didn’t play out perfectly, and my 3 year old’s character wandered off in search of dragon eggs, never to return to the party, but that just added to the laughs really. I’ll look into the other kid RPGs @Kreeba mentioned as well. I’d love to make this a regular activity in our house.

I love hearing about this. Wife and I were watching the second Fantastic Beasts movie last night, and I was like this is so ripe for ICRPG. Funny to see this post today.

I love what you have done with the settings. It so usable and you handled the magic side so well.

This is just fantastic! Love it :heart_eyes:

Playing games with your family will pay dividends far down the line my friend. Take it from someone who still games with his kids who are in their twenties. The time you spend at the table will provide fantastic memories for you, your wife, and your kids for years to come.

Welcome to the wonderful world of TTRPG.

That I some awesome family time!

Welcome to the club and keep up the great stuff.

Thats awesome! Love the Harry Potter idea. I may have to try that with my 8 and 10 year old. Kids are so creative it really is a lot of fun. Great work on improvising the 3 year olds wandering off into the fun. It’s always fun to mix the real life situations into the game.

The title of this thread describes the first 20 years of my life! Thanks for sharing this wonderful story.