Way of the Exploding Sword – action-gaming with ICRPG

tags
freeform

iu
Art © Jörg Drühl

Here we go!

I’m presenting the latest incarnation of my tag-heavy, freeform ICRPG.

Character Creation

• no stats
  • write down 6 tags – they can be as short or long as you want, single words or whole sentences
  • mechanically, each tag counts as +1 to your roll
  • weapons and armor are tags

Example:
_E. Honda, _
Class: Sumotori
Bioform: Human
extremely heavy, strong as an ox, one of the best sumotori in the world, tough as nails, Buddha Thousand-Palm-Slap, deals massive damage

Combat

• Method A:
    In a fight, add all relevant tags to your d20 roll. If there are any disadvantageous tags, subtract 1 from your roll for each. The gamemaster/referee does the same for monsters and npcs.
    Higher roll does damage.
    If one side has severely more powerful tags, add +1d4 to that side’s roll.

• Method B:
    Count the number of relevant tags.
    If 0–2, roll 1d4
    if 3–4, roll 1d6
    if 5–6, roll 1d8
    if 7–8, roll 1d10
    if 9–10, roll 1d12
    if 11+, roll 1d20

You roll vs GM/referee’s roll.
Higher roll does damage.
If one side has severely more powerful tags, add +1d4 to your roll.

optional:
Principle of Narrative Truth

• Everything the players describe happens exactly how they describe it, when they describe it.
  • Narration must not describe the defeat of a character if they still have hit points/heartbeats left.
  • Higher rolls in combat now grant the right to narrate, and the side with the lower roll also takes damage.
  • This way, when winning a roll, a player could also describe how their character gets hit and/or injured, only to have a sensational comeback (when, mechanically, the opponent has been reduced to zero hearts).

One fighting against many
Your total result (roll+tags) counts against every single opponent – or you treat the horde as one single opponent

Checks and Attempts
roll d20+relevant tags vs. target number

Hearts
either roll damage+relevant tags and subtract total from hp
or
1 heart = 3 heartbeats
1 hit = -1 heartbeat
1 crit = -1d4 heartbeats

Spells/Loot
have tags, GM/referee determines
when using loot or casting spells, GM/ref rolls 1d20; 18+: loot/spell has extremely beneficial effects, maybe even functionality it usually doesn’t have

Superheroes
Every tag is a +3 instead of a +1 to your roll.

THE ABOVE IS THE OLD VERSION. THE NEW, EVEN SIMPLER ONE IS ALMOST FINISHED.

Minimilist ICRPG

Example combat, just the mechanics, no narration

_E. Honda, _
Class: Sumotori
Bioform: Human
extremely heavy, strong as an ox, one of the best sumotori in the world, tough as nails, Buddha Thousand-Palm-Slap, deals massive damage
:heart:

Horde of goblins
there’s a lot of them, swords
:heart:

Honda amazingly has 6 tags that are relevant for a fight. Note that if Honda or the goblins wore armor, it would also simply count as one tag. Honda adds 6 to his d20.

The goblins have 2 relevant tags for fighting. The goblins add 2 to their d20.

Round 1
Honda: rolls 9, +6 = 15
Goblins: roll 14, +2 = 16
=> Goblins hit, Honda loses 1 heartbeat and has 2 left.

Round 2
Honda: rolls 12, +6 = 18
Goblins: roll 10, +2 = 12
=> Honda hits, Goblins lose 1 heartbeat and have 2 left.

Round 3
Honda rolls a 20 (crit!), +6 = 26
Goblins roll 10, +2 =12 and cry
=> Honda rolls 1d4 to determine how many heartbeats the goblins lose, and rolls… a 1; the goblins are down to 1 heartbeat

Round 4
Honda rolls 16, +6 = 22
Goblins roll 13, +2 = 15
=> Goblins lose their last heartbeat; their fate now is in Honda’s hands. Will he slaughter them? Spare them? Befriend them? Enslave them?

This is great stuff. Nice work.

Really solid stuff.

When gaming with players who know the system I’ll still default to ICRPG proper. But what you have here blended a bit with the minimalist gaming I’ve been working on is something I’ll always keep in my back pocket for running a game with new players as well as occasional solo rpg games.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around this but it is very intriguing to me. I think I could really get into the minimalist approach that you have going on here. Great ideas and nice work!

Thank you! If you have any questions, please let me know.

What about the “rolling against a target” in Check Situations?
Would you handle this with a Room Target like in ICRPG or more like a target per Check Situation?

I’d keep the Room Target. It’s way faster and effective that way.

And i have to say i love the approach of changing the narrative rights with the outcome. Let the Winner of a Fight decide how the outcome is? Always a good choice. Same goes for Checks

Another combat example, this time using Method B:

An Elven Guardian using his sword against a Horde of Poison Goblins (quick, many, armed, wearing armor, filed teeth, poison glands).

I count the number or tags that can be used in combat:

The Elven Guardian has quick, agile, nimble, fragile-looking but tough, an expert in sword-fighting, the Berserk Ring, armor, shield and sword – 9 useful tags.

The Goblin Horde has quick, many, armed, wearing armor, filed teeth, poison glands – 6 tags.

9 tags means the Elven Guardian rolls 1d12 in combat, versus the goblins‘ 1d8 (for 6 tags).

Round 1
Guardian rolls 9, goblins roll 7. With a mighty shriek, the Guardian swings his sword with all the power he can muster, mowing and cutting through the goblins‘ ranks. The goblins lose 1 Heartbeat (2 remaining).

Round 2
Guardian rolls 10, goblins roll 7. Now, a few goblins try to escape, seeing the overwhelming power of the Guardian, but too late. With a sickening crunch, his bloody sword cuts and cuts and cuts, machinelike in its precision. The goblins lose another Heartbeat and are down to 1 Heartbeat.

Round 3
Guardian rolls 4, goblins roll 8! The goblins‘ survival instinct kicks in. They‘re leaping and jumping, a gibbering mass of daggers, clubs, rusty blades and poisoned fangs, burying the Guardian under them. He loses 1 Heartbeat and is down to 2.

Round 4
Guardian rolls 8, goblins roll 4. Suddenly, goblins are flung into all directions, and a single, mighty blade, glimmering with blood and gore, shines in the sunlight. Then, digging himself up from under their bodies, we see his face. A mad smile, and eyes burning with rage. Then, he bellows his bloodcurdling laughter. The Guardian has prevailed.

Round 5:
The ref tells the Guardian player to make a check vs a target number of 15 to force himself to come out of the berserk rage. The only tag that is helpful for him is „smart“, so he rolls 1d20+1… a 1! With the bloodshot eyes of a beast of battle, the Guardian turns towards his friends. „The more danger, the more honor“, he croaks, then, sword drawn, teeth bared, he starts running towards them.

An example of the Principle of Narrative Truth

Orik is a gigantic, aging but experienced brawler who likes to use his environment as weapon, with a long, graying ponytail. He‘s wearing a sweat-stained wifebeater and grimy jeans. His buddy Nick, a disgruntled cop and expert with the Smith&Wesson .500 Magnum, and with an eternal frown on his face, is wearing mirrored glasses. His chest hair is longer than his buzzcut. Orik and Nick take on a horde of machinegun-toting mooks in white Armani suits.

After determining tags, Orik rolls a d10, Nick rolls a d12, and the mooks roll a d8. Both heroes and mooks have 1 Heart.

Let‘s start the fight!

Location: It‘s 1.30am in a very posh Hong Kong club called Pineapple. Orik and Nick are standing outside, smoking. Suddenly, three old Mercedes appear, with squealing tires, and halt in front of the club. Car doors open, and a veritable wave of white-clad mooks pours onto the sidewalk. Machineguns firing. Panic breaks out. People running, fleeing, screaming.

Me (GM): Cool! Let‘s roll dice! Orik, my mooks score a 6 against you.

Orik : Ten! Yes!

( The mooks lose 1 Heartbeat. I discard one poker chip. Two remain.)

Nick : I have a… ten! Against you!

Me : I only have a 5.

(Again, I discard another poker chip. My mooks now have 1 Heartbeat left. Orik and Nick have the right to narrate what happens.)

Nick : I leap into a nearby staircase, drawing my S&W.

Orik : I push with all my might against that huge garbage container. Push push push, and finally, that thing moves! I shove that sucker right into three mooks. They go flying. BAM!

Nick : My turn, my turn! I wanna pop some rounds! Okay. Two mooks are running in my direction, shooting like crazy. I make a ninja roll to avoid their shots, and then I shoot them in the kneecaps.

Me : Nice. What happens then?

Orik : With the big container gone, I grab the smaller ones and throw them right into the other gangsters. I hit them square in the face. Then I make my way to one of their cars .

I yank the car door open and punch the driver. He goes limp. I throw that bastard out, take a seat and start the car.

Nick : Meanwhile, I do a leaping rundhouse kick, knocking out two mooks. I take their machine pistols. Slow motion. BAM BAM RATATATA, you see a close-up of both guns firing. Then, wide angle, and you see the other mooks flying through the air like ragdolls.

Me : Nice description. Next round! Let‘s roll. Orik, I have a 4 against you.

Orik : And I roll a… 6!

Me : Nick, against you… an 8!

Nick : Shit, I only have a 7.

(Orik has the right to narrate what he does to my mooks. They now have no Heartbeats left. They‘re defeated, and Orik has the right to narrate what happens. But before this takes place, I have the right to narrate what my mooks do to Nick, and Nick also has to discard one poker chip, aka Heartbeat).

Orik : Okay! Pedal to the metal, baby. I drive the car, top speed, straight into that horde of mooks.

Me : Whaaaaaaat?

Nick : Shiiiiit.

Me : So what happens?

Orik : I steamroll about five of them, craaaaack, they‘re gone. Then, I open the door, jump out and facekick the mook next to me. Bam!

Me : Three mooks are still left, and they‘re running in your direction, machineguns firing, BAM BAM BAM. Nick, you turn around after you fired both guns, and WHAM!, two mooks kick you into the chest, at the same time, one on the left side, the other one on the right. It‘s so painful, you can‘t breathe.

Nick : Wot? Damn it, I think I‘ll fall down on my knees, then.

Orik : Nooooo! Niiiiiiiick! You bastards! I run.

Me : Where to?

Orik : I run towards them. And then: a double clothesline! They‘re doing a salto, I tell you. The last mook is still standing, right?

Me : Yes, if you say so. It‘s your narration, and they don‘t have any Heartbeats left, so go ahead!

Orik : So I can narrate whatever I want?

Me : Basically, yes.

Orik : Awesome! Slow motion! Those two mooks are still in the air, and their machineguns went flying, as well. I catch one of the guns in mid-air, highkick the third mook against the head so he‘s flying away from me. While his colleagues crash into the ground and he is still in the air, I empty the whole clip into him. Ratatatatatatataaaaat!

Yeah!
Awesome xD
I am sold^^

I was just thinking, that If you wanted to keep 10HP Hearts you could do effort based on the margin of success.

So you roll d20 + TAGS and compare against room Target, say 12. You roll a 15 and so you do 3 Effort.

That’s probably what I would do if I was running it. This whole idea is super cool! I like it a lot.

For something striving for minimalism, this certainly gets confusing.
Are all those formulae needed?

What formulae do you mean, Brandish?
I’ve straightened out and streamlined the new version. There’s only one method of combat now, for instance. Plus, there are optional rules for going even more freeform, if that’s what floats your boat (it certainly is for me) :slight_smile:

Where’s the new version please?

This is exactly what I have been naturally progressing towards without even realizing it. During character creation I have the players focus on who there character is and what their character wants. Then on what they look like. We then, as a team, create the tags that best describe what they want out of there character and go from there. It’s not as cut and dry as having a list to pick from but I think it helps new players grasp when and why we make die rolls.

Can’t wait to see the second edition!!!

there wont be a new version. as far as i know he stopped working on that and returned to other stuff. You can check out his Blog for a lot of minimalistic ideas though. Just search for his name and i think you can find him