War | MAKER!

wooot!!!
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/337342/WAR--MAKER?src=newest_recent

ordered.

Thank you Hankerin, Alex, Zeph, Greg, Dan, Caitlin, and Pablo!

Iā€™ve been waiting for this :grinning:

Really interested in this, Iā€™ll probably be buying it anyway but do we know of any videos in the pipeline about it?

STR + HON + BEER :fist:

Finally some good news to wake up to! Bought and eagerly looking through it as we speak

Canā€™t wait to try this! Love the creative energy Hank itā€™s people like you and the other game thinkers here that push tabletop gaming forward and I thank you for your service :grin:

Hey Nathan! Thanks and glad to hear it!
WAR | MAKER has been a blast so far

Bought it right away. Flipped through it. Totally hits the spot for me. I like the clear and simple rules and the many cool ideas that jumpstart my DIY brain. Canā€™t wait to try it out, One more masterpiece in my eyes. Love it.

Oh yes, and if you find the time to do a video about it. Thatā€™ll be totally awesome!

Cheers! Strength, Honor and Beer!

Iā€™ve caved like I knew I would and brought War | Maker! Liking what Iā€™m reading so far in my dinner break :+1: canā€™t wait to get creating an army of my own :grimacing:

Rules Question!
In the Reserves section it reads ā€œReserves deploy to the starting location of the force they replaceā€
By starting location do you mean they deploy to the location where the force was when they died or where the force was placed during the ā€˜deploymentā€™ phase?

Thanks in advance :+1:

ā€˜starting locationā€™ is key wordage here. ā€˜deployment locationā€™ could be an interpretation, not ā€˜where they diedā€™

:slight_smile:

Thanks I had sort of come to that conclusion as I posted this but thought Iā€™d check :blush:

Iā€™ve also just had a idea! The Dwarven Battle Cube on the War | Maker field!!! :open_mouth::grimacing:

Ive finally read through WAR | MAKER!!! Absolutely love it, its war gaming for the RPG player. Love the fact that you suggest putting a story to each battle/war, back in my war gaming days we would play battle after battle but they all felt the same and ultimately didnt matter. I feel like after a series of War Maker battles you will have been invested in the battles and probably have stories to tell afterwards.

ā€œI remember when the bridge of Azgoryme fell, I was there damn it!ā€

Also as a dad now i dont have nearly as much time as i used to so the streamlined rules gets you strait into battle without reading yourself into oblivion.

Another thing ive noticed is its not about whos got the best army, its not a competition like i used to find with other war games in the past. Its just a cool war story where you wanna see what happens even if your on the loosing side.

And now ill get back to creating my Xill army :grimacing:
TO WAR!!!

Great job! As an avid RPG player who has never touched a war game, this was a very accessible and fun read. I do struggle with the core rule ā€˜THERE ARE NO RULES TO LIMIT OR CONTROL
WHAT FORCES COMPOSE AN ARMYā€™. I agree with allowing or even encouraging asymmetrical battles, but without any guidance, I worry that it is hard for a starting player such as myself to even notice that there is an asymmetry until weā€™re halfway through the battle, which could put a damper on the sweet taste of victory. But this is speculation. I have wondered about your game simplifications before, and goofing around with them at the table has always made me a better GM. Cheers!

So making my Xill army is going to take a while but I really wanted to play War | Maker so this is my idea for a low cost and quick army. Plastic coin cases and Hanks ICRPG Xill tokens :nerd_face:
Thanks Hank :+1:

This is actually genius! This is exactly how Iā€™ll get my first army started!

I was thinking I might do a battle report on my first WAR. The Spark being :-
ā€œXILL ATTACK ON 229ā€ - Early hours of the morning the Xill attack the mining facility on planetoid 229, the stationed Geno are quick to defend against this mysterious and unprovoked attack.

Huge war gamer. Flipped through it last night wasnā€™t sure what to think. Read through it again today and am seeing the real gem in The Four Battle System especially using the tables provided to set up conflicts. Also loving the simple rules as I am terribly dyslexic when it comes to complex games. I set up a time with my buddy so we can try it out. Going to do some classic fantasy. I have a bunch of models in rank and flank on movement trays. think 20-25 models a tray. So I am going to be counting each row as a member so they get one dice roll and have one hit dice and ill just use a d6 to count their health. So 20 models set up 4X4 gets 4 attacks and can take 4 damage before they are destroyed. We have a long standing dnd game going where elves and are trying to subdue lesser humanoid races orcs, kobolds, goblins etc. So the orcs will be fighting to protect their homelands. Will see how it goes. going to try and play a couple skirmishes first to see how it all goes.

Iā€™ve picked up War | Maker, gave it a read through and Iā€™ve already marked it for my go-to wargaming ruleset for my home games (particularly a Gamma World 1e game I am prepping for). I really like itā€™s freeform/easy to prep nature of making the sides for the Wars and the Four Battle System, which basically makes small mini-campaigns that can be completed in a single sitting.

Thank you for making it! You got a fan in me!