Visualizing BASIC effort bonus

effort

Also be aware that BASIC EFFORT shouldn’t be used as the first option in most situations(at least in my mind). Bashing down a door? Sure, if it’s physically possible based on the type of door, use BASIC. But if it’s a heavy stone or iron door, or even a very well-made oak door, then you need a tool of some sort to do it. Tavern brawl with fists? Sure, BASIC is the way to go, but once they pick up a table or a chair leg, it becomes a tool or weapon. Or, don’t care how good at punching you are, that dragon is immune to your fists.

Basically(no pun intended) you can only allow a character to attempt things they would have a reasonable chance of accomplishing or knowledge of how to do it. Hacking a mainframe without any training? No sir. Oh, you’re a Decker, but you have lost your personal tablet pc with all of your hacking tools? The check is HARD but if you succeed you use BASIC. Just because a player put all four points into BASIC doesn’t automatically give them training or knowledge to do everything.

@edwinst. Well, it wasn’t a criticism, just an invitation. However, instead of worrying about “a -1 on average,” I’m just inviting you to play the game and see if a player with a high bonus to Basic effort is actually an issue. The actual data from my games is that this issue has never been a thing.

So, think away. I do it plenty too, but the proof is in the doing.