Vigelante City with discovery style?

inspiration

Hi! I just had an idea for doing “discovery play” with Vigelante City, so players could actually have their superhero origin stories unfold. Anyone else every considered this, or using that style in any other contexts?

This is an interesting idea and one I think may work well with supers. Given how unique origin stories can be it may force some focussed time on each character during gameplay (not that it would be a bad thing but players would have to be on board with it). I think it could add some roleplaying depth to how the characters interact and develop their powers as a team.

I was already considering giving a short moment to each player as they introduce their characters. I was considering some kind of Round where I went around the table and each player was tasked with describing a “day in the life” of their character, and I’d present them with a problem to see how they solved it, and would award them accordingly. (Like Session 0 in Fate Core, where world building happens before the game “starts”)
I would also probably allow them to choose one starting power, and then roll randomly from then on. Choosing powers is just too fun.

That sounds like a cool way to introduce the characters.

After a number of campaigns of VC I’m in favor of a random roll for powers. I think it can create interesting combinations that may not otherwise be thought of. Plus, how many super heroes actually get to choose the powers they possess? I’m sure there are some but probably the majority are not.

That’s a really awesome idea, have some kinda freaky accident happen, and bam! Roll for a super power!

The random rolls work out great and fit well with the freaky accident scenario.