Using "Easy" for Followups to Missed Attacks

In our budding ICRPG campaign, we’ve been using the rule that makes your next attempt easy if you attempt the same thing right after failing at that particular thing, which is a stellar mechanic.

We’ve been applying this to combat rolls as well and wondered if this was considered proper usage.

If you swing your axe and miss the goblin and on your next turn attempt the same attack against the same goblin, we’ve been making the attack attempt easy.

Should the “easy” rule be applied to combat attacks in this manner?

Yes. That is the exact use of the rule EASY/HARD.

Cool, thank you. That’s how we’ve been doing it and it’s been working very well. Knowing that the next attempt will be easy helps to take the sting off some of those low rolls!

Aye. Remember this applies to all Attempts, combat or not.

You have it right. The only piece I would add is that the easy second attempt explains your character adjusting to events around him/her in the fiction. So, if he attacks the orc and misses the first time, s/he learns from that failure and tries again with a better sense of where or how to strike.

Yes, excellent point. We’ve been explaining the automatic followup easy attempts in just such a manner.

One thing I’ve discovered and enjoyed about ICRPG is the way it provides a very cinematic feel with regard to actions and events. This is probably largely because the rules keep themselves tucked out of the way and the language used to reference the rules (as necessary) is natural enough to fit in with any ongoing narrative without seeming clinical.

To that end, our inaugural ICRPG campaign has very happy/enthusiastic players and a reinvigorated (and relaxed) DM.

HUZZAH!!
VIVA LA ICRPG!

This is exactly how I experience GMing with this rules set

These comments are exactly why I love the system. Easy to play. Easy to run and adjudicate.

If you succeed on the second (EASY) attempt and attempt again after is that roll EASY or regular? RAW it’d be regular since you didn’t fail the previous attempt. Not to get TOO hung up on this but…

If it is successful then it goes back to regular.

What I figured. Thank you!

The other thing to note is that if another player character does the same action after a failure its also allowed to be easy. This is like an assist.

If a monster/enemy misses is its next attack EASY?

I’m playing The Grey Hill Fire and my Archer is behind cover making the enemy archers’ attacks HARD. But when they miss are their next shots EASY?

Also, I rolled a nat 20 on my Recovery so I rolled Ultimate Effort because nat 20.

I generally don’t give the enemies easy rolls.

@Alex I think that’s the hardest thing for people new to ICRPG.

The GM is playing a different simplified game.

Would it follow that if a regular enemy archer rolled a nat 20 to hit it doesn’t get to roll Ultimate Effort in addition to Weapon Effort?

Like, only the heroes enjoy the cool heroic stuff (Easy, Ultimate) unless some special ability is possessed by the enemy. For example, “This is the master archer of the guard and he gets to roll Easy following a miss.”

First, it’s your table, your rules are more than fine, specially if everyone is having fun!!!

But as written, (and I don’t think anyone plays ICRPG as writen…but it is a very decent place to start from.)

A Nat 20 gives an ultimate…but a recovery is 1+con bonus, regardless of roll…perhaps 2 on a nat 20??? if you want?

Master Archer +19 on attacks with bow…why add easy to misses???
Endless ammo…cause I don’t want to track it.

For the most part, I suggest making monsters as simple as possible so the players can fight 20 slightly different things and you don’t really need to bog yourself down with ‘what 9 guys missed last round?’

Target Number= enemy AC and defenses.
Their HP and +'s are the only things worth noting most of the time?
Loot is generated differently, so it does not matter who has what…except if you want that guy to drop specific loot for story purposes. Swords, bows, clubs, axes do D6+effort bonus, spells do D8+effort bonus…

As a GM you roll against PC Armor. and you may roll 40 times a round…against different TNs since you are using PC armor not TN.

If you want a special NPC you can do whatever with them…but why complicate something that you have to multiply by 20 at times?

when NPCs roll Nat 1s fail…sometimes critically…more importantly it is a descriptor so the Players learn how evil you can be.
when NPCs roll Nat 20s add a d12 to effort to balance out against PCs.

Short answer: I roll in the open, and nothing is more terrifying for the players than my rolling a Natural 20. I do give the enemies the ultimate bonus at that point and describe the enemy landing a devastating attack.

Paxx IMMORTAL

November 23

First, it’s your table, your rules are more than fine, specially if everyone is having fun!!!

But as written, (and I don’t think anyone plays ICRPG as writen…but it is a very decent place to start from.)

A Nat 20 gives an ultimate…but a recovery is 1+con bonus, regardless of roll…perhaps 2 on a nat 20??? if you want?

OK, that makes sense.

Master Archer +19 on attacks with bow…why add easy to misses???

Endless ammo…cause I don’t want to track it.

Ah, I see!

For the most part, I suggest making monsters as simple as possible so the players can fight 20 slightly different things and you don’t really need to bog yourself down with ‘what 9 guys missed last round?’

Yes, that makes sense. I guess when it starts to get mechanically complicated I must be going down an unnecessary path.

Target Number= enemy AC and defenses.

Click! Makes sense!

Their HP and +'s are the only things worth noting most of the time?

Loot is generated differently, so it does not matter who has what…except if you want that guy to drop specific loot for story purposes. Swords, bows, clubs, axes do D6+effort bonus, spells do D8+effort bonus…

As a GM you roll against PC Armor. and you may roll 40 times a round…against different TNs since you are using PC armor not TN.

If you want a special NPC you can do whatever with them…but why complicate something that you have to multiply by 20 at times?

when NPCs roll Nat 1s fail…sometimes critically…more importantly it is a descriptor so the Players learn how evil you can be.

when NPCs roll Nat 20s add a d12 to effort to balance out against PCs.

Thanks! This helped clear up a lot in how I should be thinking about this system. I’m bringing in mechanical thinking from other systems when I really don’t have to.

Alex OATHSWORN

November 23

Short answer: I roll in the open, and nothing is more terrifying for the players than my rolling a Natural 20. I do give the enemies the ultimate bonus at that point and describe the enemy landing a devastating attack.

Got it! Thank you!