Two questions, one post

hero-coin
pc-progression
renown

As we have seen throughout our posts there is no wrong way to roll with the hero coin. If awarding a hero coin after a nat 20 is rolled works for you and your group I say go for it! It’s been established that I currently do not award hero coins during gameplay but I personally feel that I would not necessarily award a hero coin with a nat 20 simply because it is a random roll and not an rp thing. However, if a player rolls a nat 20 in a clutch moment and describes a game changing action…why not? With that being said I think a hero coin can rightfully awarded to a complete blunder nat 1 roll if their intentions and rp are awesome. There’s a lot of flexibility in how hero coins can be used

I agree with this entirely!

I also struggle with when to give out a hero coin, but basically I do it when people roll not 20s, when people make my job as a GM or the lives of other players easier, or anything that promotes group cohesion. And sometimes when people are funny. Others, I’m certain, have better ideas about when to reward it, but I find it very difficult to judge what meets the threshold of a hero coin, and I suspect my use of them is fantastically inconsistent.

As for XP, you could ignore XP entirely, or you could make your third criteria something like making concrete progress with the situation at hand. I don’t know. I don’t think about it; I just give a milestone reward at what feels like an appropriate time, but given your post, I suspect that’s not the sort of criteria you would be comfortable with. I hope you find a system that works well for you.