Tiled Movement

craft

I’d like to share the tiled movement I used in my last ICRPG game. Same CLOSE, NEAR, FAR movement (which is one of my favorite CORE concepts ), but replacing close with engaged/ melee.

Very much inspired by Zombicide.

Base tile.

Tile with modular terrain.

Base tile with terrain & minis.

Very cool! Only adjustment I’d make is make the squares 5x5 so I could fit index cards on them (like for an area effect, threat or treat, …) but that’s for my style.

This abstract square system also removes one of the hidden problems in normal grid combat. that being base sizes. I have played with people who also enjoy the warmachine/hordes style of base, but they were always causing issues on the standard 1" grid.

My question is, what is the maximum capacity of a square? Does a horde of goblins take up a 4" square? If so, how many players can enter that square to fight it or do they fight from the adjacent square?
Any information you have on these logistical issues would be appreciated, because I am very tempted to try this style of “grid” myself.

The card stock comes in at a nice 12x12 inch square, so this keeps thr LOE minimal. You can still chuck index cards on top though.

What ever can fit…maybe even to the bases flowing over to degree. But much like ICRPG, I consider the squares abstract guidelines, like CLOSE, NEAR, FAR, not specfic measurement.

Something to be said about NOT counting squares & dropping the tape measure -> Acceleration to the devastation!

Love this idea! Makes distance very clear without the strict ‘square counting’. Also looking at your terrain piece seems like it makes a good modular style game board.

Acceleration to the devastation!

This is great, especially to make use of the many games that have tile resources such as the D&D Adventure games, Descent, Gloomhaven, etc!

I’ve used these for lots of RPG hacking in the past, but you’ve really given me an ah-ha moment by showing me how to apply close/near/far in an intuitive way to these type of game components!