The Wizards Lock

question

What is it really?
What is it in Your game?

Secret Glyph

the mark of the hunger!

you should throw that on a shirt and sell them.

Simply a place of magical power. It’s outcome is different depending on the runes inscribed (teleportation, use of some mystical object, etc).

Ole Hankerin’ gets like two bucks for every shirt sold.

It’s a form of object focused meditation or sand mandala used to refresh the mind, concentration, and focus of priests and mages. For wise fighters who understand and have trained it, it’s a guide for an ancient internal style fighting form that is almost impossible to defeat.

BA-BAAAM!!!

I just bought 4 shirts!!! The Gift that Keeps on Giving: Adventure!!!

It’s the doing of a villain, or ally, that I’ve yet to figure out. The players don’t know that of course. :wink:

The lock to the Gaia Core, what legends say is the engine which drives life itself on the planet, the ultimate power source which - some heretics rumor - might have given birth to the gods themselves.

One legend tells of the First Wizard who followed the streams of magical energy to their source. In his journeys he came upon the Gaia Core and learned its secret. He rose to godhood and sealed away the mighty force so none may challenge his reign over the forces of magic. The First Wizard is still worshiped by some magicians, but most seek to find the Gaia Core and challenge the First and take his place.

The Wizard’s Lock has been recorded through history but almost none have ever actually seen it or even know where it is. The theoretical study of the lock and its secrets, and the theoretical approach to open it, are what drives the wizards to knowledge. The Wizard’s Lock is a symbol of power, and of a life devoted to unravel mysteries.
The enigmatic Lock has itself indeed become a symbol of all mysteries, not only the magical ones.

Doesn’t exist in my game yet, but it could be a sigil that appears to remind those who’ve made a magical pact. You begin to tell your companions about your past, and the Lock enscrbes itself upon nearby tree in blue flame. Spying the sigil, you are faced with a choice: honesty or safety.

@OgreMage That. Is. Awesome!

Cool idea man! I have something like that in my home setting, though it hasn’t come up. I just call it/them “the architects”. ^.^ Always nice to have meta knowledge for consistency.

It is the knot that holds the threads of every world, every dimension, every existence in place. It is the center of the web of worlds. The heart of time and space. It is what allows for the possibility of traveling between worlds, to other planes, other dimensions…how it came to be is knowledge long since lost or buried…or hidden away. To tap into its power is to traverse worlds. To harness its power is to hold dominion over all worlds…or break them apart.

Just bought two shirts!

Incidentally, I’ve taken to calling this the “Satyricon”.

I would love to hear more ideas. Mainly because I turned the image into about 25 “coins” that I could potentially dole out in the rpg. I play high fantasy so in that genre please. I already have 6 actual hero coins I use so perhaps this could be for something else? Because I have so many… they shouldn’t be as important as hero coins yet still offer a reason to be used/wanted.

Looking fwd to idea’s

I used it as a schematic map to The Collider on The Devourer. (per The Collider mission in Worlds)

This is what I planned on using it for. It connects all my future campaigns together.

It is an interpretation of the symbol described in Dreams of the Witch House by ol’ Howard Phillips. It’s going to be expanded upon in future Runehammer works.