The Odd Hack: Into the Odd/Maze Rats Mashup

Hi all,

Building off of Paxx’s post here: 4 rounds of combat

I’m sharing this little booklet I put together for my table and also would like to say a bit about why I found Into the Odd so inspirational.

You can download the booklet here:https://drive.google.com/file/d/16i_uxNFI7b19-vGseUeAaTT8QLQ9OfzF/view?usp=sharing

My central thesis is this: Into the Odd is worth checking out because like Dungeon World or ICRPG, simply playing Into the Odd will teach you how to play D&D “a little more better than you used to”. Specifically, Into the Odd has much to teach about decision making, information, making rolls, and narrative.

Let’s start with decision making, information, and making rolls. In Into the Odd, there are no “to hit” or ATTEMPT rolls. If you attack, you simply roll damage. The same goes for the monsters. Certainly, this has the benefit of making combat lightning fast, chaotic, and dangerous. But it has interesting ramifications for how players approach combat.

If you know that entering the fray will result in a damage roll that may knock you out in one shot, what will you do with that information? Every single Into the Odd combat is an exercise in risk/reward calculation that feels more visceral than other systems I’ve played.

This theme of information and decision making can be found throughout the system. The only d20 ability rolls are Saves, and it is explicitly stated that these should be reserved for situations in which the players are in danger because of a choice they made or an action they have taken. With regard to traps, GMs are encouraged to point them out to players with no rolls. A trap is another decision point. How will you get around this trap, and how much time are you willing to dedicate to it in this dark and dangerous place?

As for narrative, Into the Odd really opened my eyes, though your mileage may vary. Perhaps unlike most of the folks here, I’m a relative newcomer to tabletop RPGs. I wet my toes with D&D 5e in the time of Critical Role and Chris Perkins live plays. In the way D&D was presented to me, the cooperative story telling was always emphasized. The result of this, is that as a GM I always felt that it was my job to create a consistent narrative foundation for the game.

What I mean by this is that I always felt that encounters, locations, NPCs and the like should nearly always have some kind of narrative tie in. But when I ran the hex crawl and dungeon included with Into the Odd I realized that these things are not strictly necessary.

There is absolutely no explanation for what the strange coral dungeon rising out of the sea actually is. The GM is not told who is inside, why, or how they came to be there. In the hex crawl, players might run into a crashed alien space craft or a strange creature in a huge mechanical suit. There are no reasons or justifications provided for any of it.

I was worried that it would all feel arbitrary and boring to my players, but the opposite was true. It felt mysterious and scary to be out in this strange world, and I as the GM was right there with them experiencing the world with each roll on a random table.

Before I wrap up, let me say a few more things about the booklet. Primarily, the content is drawn from the Into the Odd SRD: https://www.bastionland.com/2020/11/mark-of-odd-licence-and-srd.html.

As requested, I created my own set of Arcana and starting equipment. I added a few additional rules for firearms and spellcasting, and changed or added things here and there.

The advancements come from the version of Maze Rats found in the pay what you want Odditional Materials. This version of Maze Rats is a direct hack of Into the Odd.

The distribution of this booklet is in line with the licenses for both these games. It has everything you need to jump in and play a session from a rules/equipment perspective. If you have any questions about rules or anything like that please do send them my way. Cheers!

Great write up and i agree with all the points you stated.
that hex crawl surprise from the GM point of view, is also what i like Hanks “only plan the next session” approach.

Great writeup.
Bastionland has more explanation, and it also had the advantage of time so the creator could realize the things he does naturally vs how others see it.
Oddly the focus is very NPC centric as opposed to location centric.

@Abodi
I disagree with the only plan the next session concept. There is a truth to that, and the statement has gravity, but locations are soooo much more interesting populated.
Populate your world…know your NPCs, the location of those NPCs are truly up to you at the moment you require them…and you have no idea where the PCs are going.

So your pirates princes might not fit now that the PCs are going to the desert instead of your costal city!!! You had all these personalities and conflicting sides planned…desert raiders without the nautical theme still fit!!!
Perhaps desert clans that compete and offer safe passage for caravans, but the other clans feel you are free game unless you contracted their clan!

With 30 minutes of thought you can adjust.

But that the PCs have to go to the cave of terror to discover the map, to discover the gem in the trunk of the lonely tree, to unlock the tower to defeat the necromancer…um no.

Orc tribes, pirate princes (now desert raider nomad clan chiefs), lizard man shaman, necromancer…that and random table rolls and random room setups is a campaign.

I love the direction TTRPGs are going, it is becoming its own art form, moving past its origins and originating materials.
This is not a novel…however as the GM you can know…if the PCs survive, they will confront the Necromancer one way or another in the next 15 sessions for sure/more than likely unless this game truly in a different direction.

You can know where the party is going by getting them to make that decision at the end of the session. And then you have the information needed to plan the next session and you can populate it as much or as little as desired.

Personally my Gm style has always been pretty loose, meaning that I’ve used to the thought line that we get together one night and decide on the game to pay and create characters, if there is time we start the game as well. If not we begin the next time. Then I formulat a very loose plot line that is usually build around the characters they made perhaps a few key NPC’s if I have the time and inspiration if not I will wing it. Then the I danger clues in front of the characters from time to time and they either interact with the loose plot or not, if not I improvise something for them and either my original plot goes forward behind the scenes or if this new improvised way seems more interesting I just abandon the original and go along with it.

The details of the plot I design when the Players discuss Andy plot their next action together speculatingbwhat my foendish plot may be, and I sometimes incorporate their ideas to the plot if they are better than my own, it also makes the players feel clever for figuring out my plan ( which they unbeknowst to them created themselves ).

But in general I have barely anything planned for a session before hand, simply because no plan or preparation will survive the contact with players.

For me it has worked for over 20, or is it already over 25, years of gming. But it doesn’t work for everybody each Gm has his own style after all so find your own and stick to it.

Most definitely Abodi.

“Only plan the next session” is some of the first Runehammer advice I ever took to heart. I see using random tables and encounters as just another useful framework in our GM toolkit. Perhaps even the complementary “other side of the same coin” to focusing only on the next session.

For the most part, I still only prepare enough material for one session. What’s new (for me) is that now sometimes that preparation takes the form of one or a few “quest locations” and some hexes to cross to get there.

For one thing, both myself and my players like the feeling of exploration this provides. It also helps shake the pacing up when compared to three “rooms” and encounters that was my usual prep before.