The Lapis Maze - Another question

question

How am I supposed to run it? I don’t get how stealth should or could work in that encounter!! :scream:

Well, here’s my two cents based on what’s in CORE:

After the party enters the room, you describe it and include the details of the multitude of shamblers moseying around. You talk about how they can see the other side of the room and that the shamblers aren’t really paying attention to you. Maybe you could even include a shiny pile of loot in a corner further away from the door.

Anyway, from there you establish that the party needs to make a combined DEX roll against the target each the round. If they succeed one player rolls EFFORT (most likely BASIC unless they have some form of tool or magic that can apply to everyone) as they work towards one HEART of DEX EFFORT. To put the pressure on, before they start sneaking in, you roll a D4 TIMER and in that many rounds, they have to complete the HEART of EFFORT or get spotted.

This means each round, the majority of players have to meet or beat the TARGET or something happens that prevents them from making much progress (maybe someone trips, a shambler get in their way and they have to wait for an opening, etc…). Additionally, if someone investigates the odd markings on the ground, on a successful group attempt, the one player gets to roll ULTIMATE instead of whatever they were using before.

Second options:
I’ve also enjoyed stealth encounters by incorporating STEALTH HEARTS and when a fail stealth roll is made, the player takes “STEALTH DAMAGE”, once they hit zero, they are spotted.

Yeah, I was looking at it that way. But I just felt insatisfied by the incessant rolling without any decision-making. It doesn’t feel too dynamic. I guess adding a Legendary chest in the corner and a key in the other to open the door might be how the PCs work together to claim all that stuff~