The final level: the Underlair of the Demonlord Mercedes Sodacan

This is it. Terrible trials, and face-off with the Demonlord. Will anyone survive? Or will they choose to become his thrall? This is the song playing in his throne room.

Thank you for your indulgence and patience this week! I hope you’ve enjoyed the dungeon and please let me know if you ever choose to run it.

No more spamming from me for a while!

So great! I would love to run this for a crazy fun one-shot session soon! I have some coworkers coming in from out of town, so a one-shot is all we can do, and the over-the-top-ness of this is right up their alley! If we do this, I’ll be sure to share an after action report.

Dude, cool stuff and I just want to say nice job with sticking to your public commitment here of creating and posting a level per day.

I so dig adding a “sensory” element to every room like you’ve done! It’s a fantastic idea for story telling and immersion.

Thank you. It helped force me to create without overthinking.
I will be continuing the experiment on robotgoblin.com during Inktober – a 31-section dungeon for Dungeon Crawl Classics that should be easy enough to convert to ICRPG if anyone wants to.

Yeah, deadlines and public commitments are two great ways to kill procrastination for sure. For instance, I know scheduling a game will get me to complete an adventure that’s rolling around in my head. If I waited until it was finished before scheduling a game it likely would never happen. Heh

Thank you again, these are very much appreciated.

I’d love to get some background on your process. Are these stream-of-consciousness things you crank out without a lot of revision? Or did you plan each section carefully with an eye for balance, or narrative continuity? How many revisions did you go through?

I can’t stop thinking about how awesome these look, and then feel my imposter syndrome kick in when I look at the stuff I try to create!

Thanks!

Wow, thanks!

It’s all pretty much stream of consciousness- I was working from a level sketch I made to keep track of transitions between levels but that’s about it. I kept the names I gave the levels and then just followed my nose. I only have about an hour before work to do anything, so I had to work fast each day - which is why they’re kinda sloppy.

That being said, I usually noodled around with some ideas while I was at the office (sorry, clients!) before putting pen to paper in the morning. Here’s the thing though: ICRPG is inspiring in its simplicity - you can just follow your nose and it’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t work because it’s easy to adjust. Is the dungeon balanced? I have no sweet clue - but it’ll be easy to adjust on the fly. Same reason I didn’t stat out the monsters - I want GMs to decide what the monsters should be. I just tried to give them evocative names. It’ll take all of 5 minutes to assign them some abilities.

I think we all have impostor syndrome. None of us are satisfied with our own work or process —

The key is just to make something anyway.

FUCKING DEATH METAL GOLD !!! i dig

I agree, sensory info is a small addition but one I know I need to do a lot more.