Telekinetic

Hi there :slight_smile: ,

Can anybody tell me how this works? (Quickstart Rules p.63)

With an Int roll, extend your STR up to Far range.

What does that mean?

Thx and regards,
Loco

It means you can use your STR up to FAR, which really means you can do whatever you can do with your STR like lifting, moving and otherwise manipulating objects.

Could I hold my psionic knife and attack up to FAR?

If yes how is the attack resolved? STR roll?

That leaves me with one last question :slight_smile:
At the first round do I roll INT and than STR to attack? (so basically 2 actions in one round)

thx :slight_smile:

The rule itself is somewhat vague. Some people might have an issue with this but in general ICRPG uses generic explanations to give you an idea. As a community, we think this approach is great.

So the exact mechanics of Telekinetic is up to the GM’s interpretation and allowing a melee weapon to be used from a distance is fine. Only allowing unarmed use is also fine.

As for the rest, activating Telekinetic is done with rolling INT first, followed by the STR roll itself, both rolled in the same round. Technically these are not two separate actions; it is a single action that needs two rolls to succeed.

Thank you very much :smiley:

I wouldn’t even require a second roll. If you have telekinesis, roll your INT and if successful, send a dagger flying across the room; bend some bars from afar; or drag a piece of equipment. Use the force Luke!

For contested rolls (like pulling a bad guy), he has to roll STR against the INT roll.

Sounds good, but I would suggest STR vs STR since my telekinetic power is based on my STR. I need INT to pull it off :slight_smile:

In your example I think I will use INT to initiate a telekinesis attack against the targets defense and do ENERGY damage with the psionic blades :slight_smile:

I don’t think you’re following. Or maybe I’m not following. The point is, one roll, not two. It’s silly to roll twice and potentially fail on one of those rolls. Like, that’s a huge barrier to ever pulling off your ability. If you’re a character with high Int and telekinesis, there’s no reason to roll strength. You’re using your mind to influence and manipulate physical things.

Ok, I try to explain my point of view.
First : In the power it says : With an Int roll, extend your STR up to Far range.
So this is why I came up with STR vs STR. Or else that description would be obsolete.

The strength of your telekinetic power ist STR , not INT :slight_smile:

The dilemma is, that you cast a spell (psionic power) with INT, but the execution is with STR :slight_smile:

Or maybe I just get it totally wrong because execution should be with EFFORT :slight_smile:

Normally I would only require one roll (INT) for moving small stuff just like @Alex said. If moving something or using Telekinetic in a way that requires a STR roll, like lifting a heavy object or something, then I’d require the STR roll, otherwise no roll is necessary.

Requiring two rolls should only be reserved for powerful abilities or at least that’s how I envision and play it. I said I’d do it in this case because the explanation leads me that way.

Like I said, you can rule anything in any way that makes sense to you.