Stupid ICRPG questions about efforts in char creation

question

I’m not feeling like I’m understanding the rules for ICRPG.

Page 24 for both weapons damage and magic effect.

“If using magic or energy weapons, add whichever bonus is better WEAPONS or MAGIC”

“If using a magic WEAPON simply use whichever bonus is best MAGIC or WEAPONS”

What does this mean?

A weapon give a D6

A magic weapon gives a D8

My base bonus for magic or weapons base boost adds to either one. I get that.

I just don’t understand what those sentences mean. I don’t see any weapons or items that give bonuses to these efforts.

Character creation points placed by the player or through bioforms. Or if you look at the loot tables, you will see bonuses for effort starting at 106 in the print version. Also there is all sorts of loot that you might create. This is a game that recommends DIY. To make your game Yours!

Not a stupid question at all. This game takes a bit to reset your brain around it. It is straight forward, and has a good flow, but at the same time it is so different from the GMs perspective than what I have seen in the past.
From a players perspective it plays like most games.

The way i interpreted this is that if you have a huge bonus to weapon damage, like a +5 or whatever, and you find a magic sword that deals d8 base damage and you have +0 in magic, you are able to roll 1d6+5 for your weapon since it deals more damage. as for there being no weapons that give bonuses in the book that is most likely intentional. the DIY nature of ICRPG gives you the tools you need to make your own content. if you want there to be a super sharp sword that gives +3 to weapon effort you can do that. also, things like the weapon kit on pg. 25 will add to your weapon effort. so it may not even be the weapon itself, but an attachment you place on the weapon that can enhance its damage potential. i hope this helped :smile:

More importantly, using your example, you can roll 1d8+5 because you can use whichever bonus is higher. :smiley:

good to know! i have been running it where you have to pick the bonus and damage combo together… my players will be happy to hear this!

Yessir. The rule change in second edition solves the issue of having weapon effort and then finding a magic weapon but potentially doing less damage. So, instead of rolling a d6 plus your weapon effort, you can shift that weapon effort bonus over to your new magic weapon and do more damage.