Stormlight Archives

Hey lumpy-heads. I’ve enjoyed The Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson for a few years now. It would be neat to have a thread for collaboration on a playable setting. Here’s my stab at a Shardbearer class. What do you think? Do we need to add the gemstones? Feel free to share other ideas, like a Radiant class, or a Scholar, an Artifabrian, or a list of fabrials.

Shardbearer

You are a nigh-untouchable terror upon the battlefield, and an esteemed member of high-society. You earned your shards through social maneuvering, deals, or slaying their previous owners. When a battlefield objective needs taking, the Shardbearer leads the charge.

“A Shardbearer takes ground, but cannot hold it.”

Recommended Gear: Dagger, Masterful Coats, Pouch of 50 Coin (x3)

Starting Reward (choose one; you may choose the others as a Milestone reward)

• Shard Blade - Bonded to the user. Can be dismissed to another dimension and summoned from anywhere. When summoned, it appears in hand next turn. Elegant, unblockable except by shards, magic, rare. Damage from a Shard Blade cannot be healed except by magic.
  • Shard Plate - +6 ARMOR. Can move twice as far. STR rolls EASY. 6 CHUNKS, 5 HP each: Helm, Torso, 2 Vambraces, and 2 Greaves. Each provides 1 ARMOR. Destroyed CHUNKS can be regrown from any other CHUNK in a few days.

Milestones - you may have one stance active at a time, and may switch freely once on your turn.

• Windstance - you may attack all targets (including allies) in a CLOSE 180-degree arc.
  • Smokestance - you may attack a target who is NEAR.
  • Stonestance - do +3 EFFORT on a hit.
  • Vinestance - all rolls to hit you are HARD.
  • Bloodstance - Your rolls to hit are EASY, but so are rolls to hit you.
  • Grandbow - a massive, mundane longbow that can only be drawn while wearing Shard Plate. Arrows are long and three fingers thick. Damage is always ULTIMATE.

I’m reading Oathbringer now. I am very interested in classes/bioforms from Stormlight into ICRPG. There is so much potential RPG stuff in Sanderson’s books. What you’ve come up with for Shardbearer is GREAT! As I’ve been reading, I’ve been trying to make notes on what the different surgebindings would look like in game. Of course some of them are only alluded to up to this point. As more books come out all these radiant classes will eventually be fleshed out.

I’ll try to do my best this week to jot down some game material in this thread.

Keep up the good work! And thanks for starting this thread!

Thanks! I’m also in the middle of Oathbringer. A list of surgebindings would be great. Would you treat them as spells?

And yeah, a Singer bioform would be awesome :smiley:

Yeah, I’ve started a list of surgebindings. I’ll post them shortly. In the meantime, here’s the overall idea I had for the Surgebinder Class:

Surgebinder Class

>Each Surgebinder has 2 abilities they choose from during their turn. (See surgebinding chart)

>Stormlight pool-everything that uses Stormlight starts with 1 Heart of stormlight, each use uses 1 effort of Stormlight. This stormlight pool refills (1d12?) during a highstorm.

>As an action, a surgebinder has the ability to summon a shardblade (or any object made of metal) into their hand at the beginning of their next turn. The blade does ULTIMATE effort at whatever task it is put to.

I guess you could call the stormlight pool “Sphere pool” or have different spheres hold different amounts of stormlight (ruby, saphire, etc)

Since we know the most about Adhesion and Gravitation, these are the most developed in my notes:

Adhesion-Pressure/Vacuum, binding objects to one another
-Bind 2 objects together for 1d4 rounds (this uses 1 effort of stormlight)
-Make 2 objects repel one another for 1d4 rounds (this uses 1 effort of stormlight)

Gravitation-Gravity, give objects gravitational pull (walk on walls, etc.) or change pull of object (make object lighter/heavier)
-Switch gravity in any direction for yourself for 1d4 rounds
-Switch gravity in any direction for another object with a HARD attempt for 1d4 rounds
-Make an object lighter/heavier (moving said objects are either EASY/HARD respectfully, if those objects)

With ‘Oaths’ being a big part of this world, I wonder if it shouldn’t be part of the milestone/tier reward system somehow.

Also:

Regeneration-Growth, regrowth, healing; Spend ‘X’ stormlight effort then heal yourself or another player for ‘X’ HP
Your spren appears as a vine-like shape and can assist you to either climb, jump, or bridge across a gap of CLOSE distance for 1d4 rounds (this uses 1 stormlight effort)

3-17-19
It struck me today that the emotionspren could be a major part of the game. This could be in the form of descriptive tags or actual mechanics that are coupled with game play (glory, anger, fear, etc appear during certain failed or succeeded rolls). Dunno what this would fully look like, but just a thought.