Status Effects in ICRPG?

question

Maybe I missed it in the core ICRPG book or elsewhere, but are status effects (poisoned, burning, stunned, blinded etc. spelled out for the game or are they left open to interpretation?

I recall finding “burning” eluded to a couple of times in the core book but if I’m not mistaken was described differently in examples.

My understanding is that they are open for interpretation. Much like the weapon tags, they are meant to be used how you see fit.

Good question! Make it up for your own game brother!
BUT
Here are my Status Effects from my Final Fantasy Hack
STATUS EFFECTS

Positive

• Absorb [Element] - Damage from a specific element heals HP
  • Blink - You are Hard to hit
  • Float - You levitate above ground. Earth magic does not hit you. Wind magic does 2x damage
  • Fly - You are flying and can not be reached by melee attacks or Earth Magic
  • Haste - You have one additional Action
  • Invisible - You can not be seen with eyes alone. Hard to spot
  • Invincible - You do not take damage but Status Effects remain
  • Reflect - Spells cast upon you are turned back at the caster for half damage
  • Regen - Get a free successful Recovery on your turn
  • Resist [Element] - Halves damage taken from a specific element
  • Immune [to Element] - Negates damage taken from a specific element
  • Protect - Physical and non-spell elemental damage is halved
  • Shell - Damage from spells are halved

Negative

• Aged - All checks are Hard
  • Berserk - Only takes action to Attack in melee and does Double damage
  • Blind - You are blinded and roll Hard on Actions involving sight
  • Charm - You obey the commands of the one who charmed you
  • Confusion - Roll a 1D4; 1.Attack Ally 2.Drop one Equipped Loot 3. Do nothing 4. Attack Enemy
  • Death - Timer 1D4. Each Move/Action counts the Timer down. 0 HP and Dying when time is out
  • Dying - As in ICRPG CORE 2.0 p.20
  • Freeze - Unable to move or take action. Fire heals this status. Physical attacks do 2x damage
  • Heat - If you physically move under this status your are reduced to 0 HP
  • Poison - 1D4 Poison damage the first round, 1D6 the second and stops at 1D8 the third round
  • Paralysis -You are unable to Move or take Action
  • Petrify - You are turned to stone, counts as dead until cured whereas you turn back to normal
  • Sap - Loose 1D4 HP every round
  • Silence - You can not speak or cast any magic spells
  • Sleep - Can not Act or Move until until a successful CON check harmed or cured
  • Slow - Can only Move OR take Action
  • Stop - Can not Move or take Action, Timers affecting only you like Regen or Death are paused
  • Toad - Max 5HP, max 1 Effort done, drop all Equipped and Carried gear
  • Weak [to Element] -That element does 2x damage

Piggy Back - I’d like to see people’s takes on all the Tags used as well.

I don’t define any status effects until they actually happen ingame, then I will take a few seconds with the player the effect is on and discuss some kind of cool effect that works with the story and we both agree on. I don’t like to go higher than a d4 (no one likes to sit around and watch) unless its Petrify in which case you’re done until it’s remedied. Also I like to give two chances to remove an attempt so petrify would take two rounds or two saves.

Basically play it by ear, play it by the feel of your game. Be fair but stiff. I like what Magnus did up top. Some players need a confirmed set of rules. Also depends on your group as well I guess :slight_smile:

This is a great list. I will be isingvit for inspiration.

I do agree it is good to not always be strict with specific effects. After all, take poison, not all are created equal. As a general rule I consider the threat/skill level of an enemy or character when determining an effect’s potency and/or duration.