Spicing up your Treasure chest game

vtt
treasure
chest

Hey all, i have been gone from the forums for a while, life got a little hectic, but i never stopped working on my projects so i wanted to get back on here and share some with you. these are all png files you can upload to your favorite vtt or print out and use at the table. i hope you like em.

i decided having the rogue sitting there picking locks with Dex was getting too played out.

this chest is opened with Str, you must arm wrestle one of the limbs to get the chest to pop open. it could also be a real swoll mimic if you want it to be.

the Charisma chest needs to be convinced to open with sweet words, good conversation, a well thought out argument, a terrifying threat, a poem or a song. pretty much anything you could do with charisma will work. It is a little goofy i know, but that is just how i roll.

the Constitution chest is one of those carnival or arcade games where you hold onto the paddles while a harmless, but uncomfortable electric shock goes through your hands, if they dont spasm open from the electricity your fortitude is strong enough to earn the reward hidden inside

The Int chest has many secretive runes written all over its lid. if you can decipher the message and speak the password, this chest will unleash its secret bounty to you.

Finally, here is the Wis chest. it has lots of intricate carvings and beautiful decorations. use your keen senses to discern which adornment(s) are actually hidden levers, buttons, switches, or keys to open the contents hidden here

im pretty happy with the way these turned out, and the players i showed them to in the game thought they were pretty fun. now the role of opening locked chests isnt just resigned to the rogue.

i also made some regular old treasure chests so feel free to use these in your game, i hope it spices up your treasure game and brings something a little new to your table.

These chests are so freaking cool! They added so much to the game and were a lot of fun to come across during the session. There was something for everyone! Awesome work as usual and it’s good to have you back in the forums!

thanks man, i am glad you enjoyed them during our game. im glad to be back in the forums, i am going to try to make more frequent posts again.

I love these, man. Great idea and super fun! :herocoin:

Lol, funny chests. Nicely done.

In my games, it is never always (huh?) DEX rolls. Only noobs do that.

GM: “You find yourself sliding down a slippery chute into a spike filled chasm…Roll a charisma check for me.”
Player: “Whuut?”
GM: “Exactly…This is to see how well you scream on the way down.”

Lol - I’m actually going to do this once in while to mess with my players. Great idea :smiley:

These chests are excellent. I’m stealing them immediately.

Perfect additions to an eccentric wizards tower!

As a thought you could even have these chests give out grades of treasure; roll a 5 on the strength chest and it calls you a “limp fish”, you get a lesser item. Roll an 18 and it calls you “Hercules!” And gives up the good stuff.

YES! i love that. it gives off that lighthearted carnival game vibe i was goin for. also, a good way to hand out multiple items to several party members. they each get the "Hurry hurry hurry! Step right up and give er a go, how bigs yer muscles? now you will know! " speech and if they try to do the contest multiple times it gives no more treasure, but when a new person tries it, they get a “prize” according to their roll

Perhaps you could work in a mechanism to do with their actual stat scores as well. For ICRPG you need a +3 Strength to even have a chance at the best prize. In 5e you need a Strength of 18, etc.