Skill system for ICRPG?

Here are a couple of the threads discussing using skills- I do want skills, and I think I found an easy hack

My preference would be with TAGS that grant EASY Attempts.

I need some clarification. Is it that you like having a skill list on the character sheet?
If so, just use 5e’s skill list.

But how would they work? What bonus would the ranks give? How would I need to adjust TNs to compensate?

If you are skilled in something then the TN is -3.

It’s a similar system to 5e. All it is missing is the list provided the character sheet, which a lot of people, like myself, don’t like taking up space on the character sheet.
A character has skills in thievery: pick pocketing, stealth, disarm traps, etc. It’s Easy, which means they have to roll three under the target number.

Look at this character sheet.

This would be a good method. Just ask for a roll with the bonus tied to the applicable stat.

In my games, if a thief wants to pick I lock, I just say, “give me the Dex roll.” It’s never more complicated than that, and the skills kind of become unnecessary.

If someone is very skilled (proficient?) in a particular task, then just give that person an easy roll (-3).

I usually ask my players to choose their origin and to broadly define how was their character past life (ideally with a unique evocative sentence).

If a skill makes sense according to their background, I consider they have some training with it, and they can either get an automatic success or make a roll, depending on the specifics. I sometimes gift an ability-like advantage for a signature skill coming from the background,

If the skill is not compatible with their background, it’s either automatic failure or a difficult roll.

So I eschew a detailed skill list for a broad category of correlated skills, defined by a profession or culture/origin.

I use skills. You simply roll Easy when using the skill. You add the relevant stat bonus as normal. I used to use a system similar to the 5e DMG “Background Skills” optional rule where a “Farmer/Ranger” rolls Easy for things a Farmer/Ranger should be able to do, but now I use a PF2e style system where PCs choose skills according to their Heritage/Class. I LOVE the PC options of PF2e, but the rules are just nuts. Its so easy to port over to ICRPG so I do it.

When I have introduced skills into my ICRPG games, I have kept them simple, in line with the ethos of the game. I use “trained skills” and “expert skills” that can be added or upgraded as milestone rewards. A “trained skill” means any reasonably relevant action within that skill set becomes EASY for that PC. An “expert skill” means relevant actions are ALWAYS EASY, under any condition where they would not otherwise be impossible.

ICRPG is already pretty much a skills-based system. Unfortunately, the RPG world has been dominated by “D&D brain”, the tendency to assume that all RPGs should be more or less like D&D, and the biggest failing of D&D from the very beginning of it has always been the class-based system of PC development.

In ICRPG, “classes” are offered in the book, but really, what is a “class” in ICRPG? Each PC starts with six Points for Core Stats, one Ability, one Loot, and each “class” is given a list of suggested Milestone Abilities and Masteries. There’s no real reason you have to limit your PCs to the suggestions the book gives. You are free to make up new Abilities, Milestones, Masteries, and Loots, and call the resulting “class” whatever you like. You can mix and match Abilities, Milestones, Masteries, and Loots among the suggested “classes”. The same holds true for Powers and Augments.You are even free to change the numbers of points available to PCs in each of these categories.

But how do you determine who has proficiency in what skills?

I do not see anything about skills there.

I’ve been working on something to try to keep things , in the spirit of ICRPG, simple. I like Open Legend RPG’s approach: basically take the six attributes and expand them to be a sort of attribute+skill system. Their base attributes reflect their system. The base six of course being:

• Str
  • Dex
  • Con
  • Int
  • Wis
  • Cha

In my current draft, the six attributes become a sort of stat/skill combo system (and these names reflect Open Legend and are influenced also by Fate; change names, add, subtract as you see fit):

• Might (this would cover lifting heavy stuff, etc.)
  • Endurance (this covers your traditional Constitution/Fortitude stuff)
  • Agility (this covers movement, stealth, etc.)
  • Dexterity (this covers things pertaining to control of hands and such: sleight of hand, etc.)
  • Perception (spot, listen, search)
  • Intelligence (fairly standard)
  • Wisdom (making the right choice; understanding people)
  • Presence (influencing people; think the non-speaking portion of Charisma)
  • Fight (melee attacks)
  • Shoot (ranged attacks)
  • Speak (using language to influence others: persuasion, bluff, etc.)

The main thing this requires is simply adjusting a few rolls to reflect these new attributes. Characters who have lots of might aren’t necessarily good with weapons; for that they need fight. So this change makes RAW require a Fight roll for weapon attacks. Then you just have to adjust your various other rolls. You still call for efforts as needed; you still get your points the same, though perhaps the additions require more starting attribute points. (Obviously you could rename Might to Strength and Endurance to Constitution. I was digging the Forbidden Lands stuff.)

My goals were simple: extract the fighting portions from Str/Dex; split Dex into two skills to reduce its power; split Charisma into two skills so that such characters have more options; and finally, don’t add so many that they are needlessly divided (e.g., hide and move silently should be stealth, or, in this case, are covered by Agility, like Open Legend. You could easily though lump the “hide” portion in with Wisdom or Intelligence. The situation may call for a different stat for the same action.)

Simply ask the players. “What is your character good at?” It doesn’t need to be more complicated than that.

The players will simply say they are good at everything, lol.

I just ask, “tell me two things your character is good at, those things are easy for you”.

I guess I take for granted that I play with mature, experienced folks. If that’s the response you get to that question in your groups, then there’s no harm in limiting them. “No, pick two.” And that’s a super easy fix.

I like asking for 2 as it gives them room to grow, usually they become skilled at things when they do them a bunch in game.
Ge the party out of a tight spot in the wilderness a few times, achievement unlocked wilderness checks are now easy for you.
It’s a nice organic feel.

Yeah, isn’t that what the ‘Story’ line on the pc sheet is for? :laughing: