Six Room Maze

I need feedback on an idea! I wanted to make dungeon maze that actually felt like a maze to the players. So I messed around with a point crawl and essentially added a combination lock to it. I wrote it up and attached the link below.

Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UR8KzKjyp-_EMnlj4PlAQqnCOl6C_7xe/view?usp=drivesdk

This is really nice. There was a similar idea some time ago where you instead came back to the first room whenever you chose the wrong path. The advantage with that option is it becomes very clear that you need to proceed in a certain order. Your method is more maze-like, but might also be more frustrating to players. Especially since the optimal solution is walking through the wrong door in room 1, and the correct one after that. So perhaps the maze would benefit from having the room sequence signalled in some way (like a map that says you need to pass by the copper guardians, then the chasm, then the den of Minos, then…) to make it easier to realize when you are moving backwards.

That said, I really like the idea and will definitely try it.

Awesome! Yeah the original draft of this I wrote a year ago had the players move back to room one. (I just double checked and I don’t believe I ever posted it so what you saw was from someone else)

Hopefully I’ll be able to play test it soon and see what feels better.

Thanks for the input!

This is helpful for my upcoming session. Thank you!

I’m planning on driving my players absolutely crazy by implementing a maze in the style of the game Anti-Chamber. In that game, walking backwards through a door takes you to a different room than you’d get if you walk forwards through it. I’m not planning on going that in-depth with this, because some mechanics don’t translate well from single player first person video game to group tabletop game. But I really like the notion that the maze responds differently based on how you do what you choose to do. :slight_smile:

Awesome! Yeah, feel free to modify it to whatever works for your game. Let me know how your maze works out!

Reminds me of the lost woods in the original Zelda. Also this video. https://youtu.be/X6pbvxBJ1Mw

very cool man

Heres a lost woods maze thing I made awhile

Awesome! I might have to work in timers into mine too (I originally wrote it before I discovered ICRPG)

I think it would be really cool if someone finds a way to recreate the Cube film series, where each room has 6 exits and it’s loaded with traps