Short Space Opera Campaign: Looking for Players

Hey folks, I’m looking to run a space opera campaign in a new setting that we will build together. I want it to be longer than a one shot, as I think the appeal of space adventures is the variety of planets and locations to fly to and from, but I’d also like to keep it pretty short, about 5 sessions more or less.

We’ll be using Discord to talk, and I’m gonna try to learn to use roll20. I’d like to start with a session 0 before we start playing, like a meet-and-greet, round table discussion, where we’ll discuss the setting and characters and details, and just hang out and chill.

Friday and Saturday work best for me schedule wise, though Wednesday could work as well, around 8-10 pm US Eastern Time.

I have a general idea of what this universe is like, though I’m also keeping some things open to player input. Basically, it’s kind of like Firefly meets Halo. It isn’t outright space fantasy, there’s no space magic, but there are some made-up technologies like FTL travel and gravity/anti-gravity tech.

The fantastical elements come more from the aliens and alien worlds, while humans in this setting are not so different from us today, just with better tech. We aren’t a full-on post human or post scarcity society. We still face similar problems, resource shortages, corrupt authorities, crime, etc. plus new ones, like killer aliens. This sector of space is a dangerous frontier, the edge of civilization. Beyond lies the unknown.

Hey 3r1k I’d love to join in. Wednesdays would work best for me, What date are you thinking for the session zero.?
You planning on Warp Shell for rules?

Hmm, scheduling is the part I find toughest to wrap my head around. I’d like to start session 0 ASAP, maybe even this week (though that might be overly optimistic lol), usually 8-10 pm us eastern time works best for me. Ultimately, I think it comes down to what date and time would work best for the players. Also, something I hadn’t mentioned before: I think I’d like to keep our group pretty small, maybe 3-5 players.

As for the rules, I was thinking of re-purposing some of the rules from Warp Shell, maybe some from Altered State, plus stuff I made up, plus stuff players might potentially make up. My idea for how we will make characters is that you guys could pitch your character idea at session 0, then we could find the mechanics that fit, if that makes sense.

I had some alien species that I made up, plus we could make up new ones. I figured this setting wouldn’t have the same exact species as Warp Shell, but we could include some if somebody really liked a Warp Shell species, maybe we could give it a new name and lore or something.

Magic and psychics don’t exist in this setting, but I did have an idea for a powers system kind of similar to the biotics from Mass Effect, individuals who can sort of manipulate gravity by pumping themselves full of a made up BS element called Varygen that has gravity-warping properties.

I came up with a list of powers they would have, like telekinesis and such. They may or may not be a thing in this universe, depending on player input.

Thanks for showing interest in my campaign idea! I hope we can make this thing work.

This sounds like it could be a fun game, and I think it would work with my schedule, though I’m gonna be out of communication for the third week in July. Schedule wise, Wednesdays might be the best for me, too. Saturday nights can be a little tricky for me, but I might be able to swing it, if it’s the best fit for a majority of the people involve.

Saturday works for me. are you planning to use Core or QS rules? I already have a game on Wednesday.

Essentially, our own sort of home brew rules, but I was thinking it’d be based off the QS, so at creation you’d give your character a starting ability and equipment.

Since it’s a short game your characters could “level up” at the end of every session. You could pick a starting ability from the QS, or make up your own if you want.

A Little while ago I made my own sort of character creation page, with species, equipment, etc. I might update it and post it here.

You should share the races and setting notes you’re already sure you want to include. It may drive some interest in the game - and also aliens and aci-fi stuff is cool!

I like to play and help with Roll20 but i not have a translator gadget … and Discord hate my computer. Wish you good game in space from a french player.

Franc the French. :wink:

Hey I’ll jump in if you have room, Saturday works for me.

Let me know it sounds fun.

Here’s what I’ve got so far. I’m working on the list of weapons.

What I did with the tag abilities was I essentially copy pasted a bunch of abilities from the QS and Altered State, renamed some, made up a few of my own, and compiled them into a list.

My original idea was for like a classless system where you just pick and choose abilities from a list, if that makes sense.

I’d join if it can work around my schedule, no biggie if I can fit it in my schedule (no biggie if it cannot).

My best day is Wednesday, but I cannot start till 9pm EST.

Cool - just let me know what day. Cannot make Wednesday.