Shooting far is a HARD attempt

I swear i read or heard this somewhere… but cannot find it in the book… please help a feeble old man locate the knowledge he is seeking.

Were you thinking of this thread?

thanks, that must have been where i read it :slight_smile:

I don’t know that it is Hard always, but you can certainly play that way. I usually make ranged attacks Hard only when there is something special about them: called shot, disarming shot, ricochet, double Far maybe…

Same here, but double far I do HARD unless they have a bow with a tag like Immense Range or a good scope on a gun.

For me, if a weapon doesn’t have the far TAG then any far shot is HARD.

@Kirin, do you have ranged weapons that are not far? Just curious on your game mechanics. I’ve always played under the assumption that even basic bows, etc come with the FAR tag already since most melee is CLOSE, and a few melee weapons like longer spears and halberds can reach NEAR. Again, however you play is great, just looking to broaden my horizen on gameplay styles :slight_smile:

It’s interesting to me too, because a NEAR move could be roughly 30’, or 6 spaces on a traditional one-inch map. A FAR move could be 60’, or roughly 12 spaces or inches. I don’t think a 60’ shot is out of the question with a long bow, but it could be Hard at 120’ — double FAR.

That’s just some Alex logic using 5e as a guide.