Rumors -> Instant adventure generator with no effort

homebrew
inspiration

I can’t remember if I picked this idea up from someone or somewhere, but thought I’d share something cool I’ve used a bit.

Rumors are a very dynamic and powerful tool. How I used them:

At the end of sessions (or during), if players are in places they could reasonably overhear or interact with others (towns, taverns, inns, jails, whatever), pick a player (or roll for it), and ask them what rumors or news tidbits have they overheard. Then sit back.

The player will come up with something. It doesn’t matter what it is. Take notes. You just got free lore and ideas. You can use these as seeds for future adventures. And the fact they are rumors means it may or may not be true. You can twist it any which way, or do the complete opposite. It doesn’t matter. If/when you introduce some aspect of it, the players will notice immediately. “Oh, hey, I heard something about this!”

Example: Players were in town, one was chilling in a cafe while on a stakeout. I asked him what rumors he overheard while in the cafe. He thought for a second and said, “Heard there is a Spriggan waylaying travelers on the road.”

Boom. That’s it, super simple. But it is pure gold.

A couple sessions later after they are doing a pretty big cross-country journey trying to steer clear of invading goblin hordes, and enter a forest. They come across ravaged caravans on the road. They encounter a couple tree sprites, and learn there is a rogue Spriggan causing trouble on the road. The players were instantly invested. “I knew it!” several of them said.

Now they have a choice. Carry on their way, or figure out WTF is going on?

Of course they chose to figure out what was going on, they had skin in the game with just that rumor a player made up on the spot. This lead to communing with a rhubarb plant, encountering a xenophobic old man, curb stomping an evil druid (literally), using tree sprite battle magic, and a player sacrificing their eye for a magic implant with the accompanying surgery performed by the party’s Barbarian.

All of this stemmed from one question: “What rumors do you overhear while in this cafe?”

Give it a shot. Offload some of the creative goodies to the players. They’ll dig it, and your life just got easier. And once they catch on, they’ll be even more invested in the collaboration.

Great work here man!

One concern some readers may have is, “What if the rumor they give is total nonsense and doesn’t work?” For example, maybe the campaign is in the arctic and there really shouldn’t be spriggans.

(1) Use this opportunity to create an arctic spriggan. That’s awesome.
(2) The rumor has a big (F) next to it, as in false! Was the person lying or mistaken? In any case, SOMETHING waylaid travelers on the road, and it might have looked like a spriggan. Maybe the Frostwolf clan of orcs (thanks, WoW) has started learning druidic magic to appear as creatures like spriggans.

Anyway, just spitballing. Well done!

One concern some readers may have is, “What if the rumor they give is total nonsense and doesn’t work?” For example, maybe the campaign is in the arctic and there really shouldn’t be spriggans.

(1) Use this opportunity to create an arctic spriggan. That’s awesome.
(2) The rumor has a big (F) next to it, as in false! Was the person lying or mistaken? In any case, SOMETHING waylaid travelers on the road, and it might have looked like a spriggan. Maybe the Frostwolf clan of orcs (thanks, WoW) has started learning druidic magic to appear as creatures like spriggans.

Anyway, just spitballing. Well done!

Exactly. It is a RUMOR. It might very well be nothing. And depending how many players you have, and how often they are in positions to hear tidbits of news, the majority of what players come up with you might never use. And you can twist it around any which way.

The “Spriggan” could be a bunch of goblins dressed up (like kids stacked in an overcoat). Or it could be the beginning of a full blown invasion from the Feywild. Or it could be a Scooby-Doo’esque fake thing made to spook travelers for some reason. Or it might not exist at all. A big storm could have caused issues with recent caravans, and through the game of telephone, wind blowing down trees became a “spriggan”.

It honestly doesn’t matter. You don’t have to use 100% of what players come up with. And it is probably better if you don’t, as it’ll keep them on their toes if you use this tip repeatedly. The point is it offloads a lot of creativity on to the players, and you’ll be treated to ideas you never would have otherwise thought of.

I love anything that invites players into the world building of the game. So cool!