Role playing in icrpg

so how do you handle conversations and similar role play moments within ICRPG?

The rules say you always activate in a circle which is fine in most circumstances but how do ya’ll handle role playing a conversation where it doesn’t include the whole party?

Interested in your thoughts, thanks.

I go with the flow. If the players are engaging with an NPC and doing any amount of role play, there’s no reason to slow that down with any mechanics at all. Discussions, interrogations, sweet talk, and verbal abuse all happen in whatever order people execute them! It keeps things dynamic and fun.

The only time I’ll slow things down outside of a combat scenario is if someone tries to role play an event that requires analysis or adjudication on my part. “Oh, you’re trying to intimidate this guard? Roll CHA against the target number.” “The squire doesn’t seem particularly forthcoming about where he found the gleaming sword. Roll WIS.” etc.

Actually, @Runehammer has a video on this.

There is a ton of lumpy headed opinions if you search “social” on the boards.

I think this can add to your thoughts on it and provide more exact questions.

But clock work turns, and timers can work.

I also go with the flow. If I feel like people are being excluded, I might push it along. If I lose track of turns and no one remembers whose turn it was, I’ll just have them re-roll for turn order.

I reread the question…sorry I missed the doesn’t include the whole party.

If it’s me and one player, 3~5 speak and response cycles. If it’s important, I take that player outside, give the rest of the table a 5 minute break, and I have a cigarette, while focusing on things.

If it’s half or nearly half… and it’s long… I break it up and have the rest of the party doing something.

If doing turns around the table at role playing speed…30 seconds to a minute to each player, keeps things in going. If your group has 3 gabby people and 2 that are just there to kill something…you have problems.

Hey Paxx I appreciate your replies, especially thankful you posted the social encounters video. Wow what an amazing dissection of how to run social encounters. Hankerin is a mad genius.

On certain things I’m in 50% agreement with Hankerin, but on other things I’m in shock at the depth of thought and capability.

On the things I’m in 50% agreement on (I can agree but can go with alternatives) after thinking on it or playing it, I agree with it more…but for the most part, I can’t help but be in awe of the simplicity of thought.

I have the problem of over complicating things before I can start simplifying. Hankerin just simplifies everything so you can play while drunker than you wanted to be.

Yes, genius. Mad mad genius!!! And I thank the gods for him. While I pray he keeps this side of sanity! But so glorious while he is active.

I tend to keep with Turn Order, but allow minor “reaction shots,” conversation, and “cosmetic” actions that add color but do not change the game state—to the extent that they are in the same location or able to communicate, and that doing such accentuates the spotlight character’s turn and doesn’t detract from it.

Then, as needed and appropriate to what’s happening (both in world and at the table), I will sometimes declare the end of the GM turn as “open season” for a few min of RP or conversation or a PC “huddle” to decide how to handle the next round about to start.

@Paxx that video is one of my stealth favorites. I have adapted the Favorable/ Meh/ Unfavorable Outcomes for far more than just social situations.

Thanks for the reply Lon, I suspect this is how I will go about it too.

I second what Lon wrote.
Wanted to give this exact answer but I didn’t have the time to.