Risk Dice ( Narrative Dice mechanic idea )

homebrew

Lately i was reading bit of Genesys, and was intrigued by its narrative dice and its various outcomes ( 3 levels of success, success with failure…etc ) . And I was thinking how can I bring this to the game without using proprietary dice, and using standard d20 rpg rules. Especially ICRPG

So I thought of this fun mechanic I call Risk Dice,

So whenever you want to make check or attack, you can decide to “tempt destiny” by overextend your abilities. Beside your regular roll, you also roll 1d6, and you can add its result to your roll. However, on certain numbers things happen ( they should be explained narratively i am only giving best rules approximation ):

In combat

1. You lose action and your speed is 0 on next turn ( You fumble badly )

2. On the next action your movement costs double, and your attack is at a disadvantage
    ( you got turned around )

3. Your next attack has a penalty ( you lost grip on the weapon )

4. Nothing

5. Your opponent movement costs double, and he attacks at a disadvantage on his next turn ( the opponent is confused )

6. Your opponent speed is 0, or he can not attack on his next turn - your choice ( you blinded the opponent )

So basically you fumble, trip, got blinded for a moment , and same with opponent. Perhaps you managed to put him out balance, or blinded him or distracted him enough. The description is up to you.

In Skill Checks

1. You fail, and something bad happens

2. You fail

3. Something bad happens

4. nothing

5. Your check yields additional benefit

6. You check yields additional benefit, and you gain “confident” ( your next check is at advantage )

Could be fun to try it out!

:thinking: Hmmmmmm

Maybe take a gander here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTGEfBxAfOg