Resources for neurologically atypical gamers

Hello, All. Does anyone know of any resources to help atypical gamers find groups? My friend’s son has ASD and is looking for an online game. I’m sure he would function just fine in any setting, but does anyone know of any resources or groups that are especially knowledgeable and skilled in providing great gaming experiences for people with that particular challenge?

Why don’t you run a game for him?

Also this: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/283738/Fate-Accessibility-Toolkit-o-Prototype-Edition#:~:text=The%20Fate%20Accessibility%20Toolkit%20is,from%20their%20real%2C%20lived%20experiences.

I don’t know of any resources, but I am sure there are some out there. I can definitely say that a little bit of patience and understanding, not just from the GM but also from the whole group, goes a long way to making a great experience at the table. I’m not talking about babying anyone or anything, inclusion across the board is about talking to everyone at the table as an equal- giving everyone the same spotlight. When players sit at the table, whether virtual or physical, they sit down to be heroes so just let everyone be heroes.

And as always, the GM sets the tone. The GM should go full Game Master and use every silly exaggerated voice and/ or monster sound they have in their toolbox. Doing this sets the bar and lets everyone relax and join in without fear of looking silly. This goes a long way for any group at the table no matter who they are.

Just treat everyone like heroes. If someone needs help with math or reading the dice, then help without spotlighting the help. This is true for every table no matter who sits there. Just treat the players like heroes.

(I am also on the spectrum.)

Also, find out what his favorite movies and shows are. Use those to help recreate the awesome scenes as encounters in an adventure. This can help give some context to the social and emotional cues in those events. I personally have learned how to understand those cues from watching movies myself. I still get a little confused when some social situations don’t have a context I can recognize, but using relatable elements in a game can really help give that focus on an encounter/ scene.

I hope this helps.

It helps a lot. Thank you, JD.

I work as a level 4 paraprofessional and I run ICRPG in the class to help with social skills, future thinking, teamwork and so on. Through that I was contacted to help start a game night through AUSM where we planned to have weekly sessions. Since Covid hit we have been put on hold but are looking for ways to play online in a way that will still grab the attention of the kiddos so if we end up doing that I will make sure to send you a link. I’d be glad to go over some of the things that I do to make the game inclusive and help build up the foundations of good social skills.

Thank you! I can share a few ways to play online. You don’t happen to have an iPad do you?

I do, it’s an older one but functional. I’ve messed around with roll20 myself but that seems clunky sometimes.

I don’t have any technical resources or links to share, which is unfortunate, but I have worked as a paraeducator/ behavior therapist for going on 13 years now, mostly focused on classrooms with students on the autism spectrum.

Having sprinkled in rpg tactics/ mechanics / collaborative story telling techniques to gain buy in on class lessons I can say as general advice (and this goes for neurotypical folks too), DONT do anything for the person that they can do for themselves.

This is my cardinal rule whenever I have any interaction with anyone… it is a way to help foster independence and preserve their dignity from folks who tend to over help (even though wanting to help is a noble idea).

If they need assistance they can usually ask for it or will have someone (if it’s a kid usually a parent or sibling) close by to advocate/ assist when needed.

A “session zero” style meetup to talk with the person and learn about any accommodations that they may need could prove super useful if it is an option.This could range from deciding whether they will want help calculating outcomes, reading other’s social cues, giving a few concrete action choices Rather than abstract “do whatever you want” options, or even just a few extra moments to process the info they were given before being asked to respond. This is also a great time to find any triggering topics or things of that nature, as well as ideas they might like To explore.

I hope this advice has helped and wasn’t too much of a Psychological/therapeutic info Dump. If you have any specific questions or want some other advice feel free to send me a message, I’m always happy to help

@TheWunderLich Not at all over-dumping. This is also helpful.

@Looten The thing I’ve been doing is using the app Procreate to create maps. I make the maps in layers: a grid layer, a drawing layer to draw the map and the Target, a notes layer for things I want to remember, and a clipping mask which hides the map until I paint away the sections I want to reveal. I use a software called ManyCam to use the iPad as a virtual camera, and hook it directly to my laptop. We do the sessions in Zoom calls.

SO: I can see the players, and they can see me until I switch the camera to the map. Then they see the map. I can draw on the map, call out details, mark their positions, etc. We don’t do much with ranges or positional tactics unless the players ask for it. It’s very abstract, very simple. The combats are pretty much I go - you go with lots of narrative description. We are mostly doing loose plot stringing together a bunch of 5-room dungeons.

This works pretty well. Two of the players are 8-year-olds, with one of their dads as the third. The ICRPG “Always in turns” rule really helps the online dynamic.

Let me know if you want me to unpack that anymore or DM me if you want to see it in action.

@Kreeba I may run something for him. I am trying to find a group that’s his age (late teens/early 20’s).

I will absolutely try this and get back to you with any questions. Seems like a pretty slick system