Reflection on ROOMS || A little Epyphany ^^

Hello everyone!
I’ll try to get my thought on paper the shortest way i can. ^^

In ICrpg, we are thinking in “rooms”. That is one of the key element of that ttrpg and the concept of it is well explain in the book but basically the player enter in a space and have the survive the challenge(s) that prevent them to go out of that room and get to the next one.

So… The origin story. ^^
I was playing the first book of the campaign Kingmaker Pathfinder, where the players have as objectives to free a region from bandits, protect a commercial outpost in that region and explore it entirely to map it. The map of the region is divided in hexagons and, in every hexagon, there is something for the players to discover or fight, basically challenges.

Well it appeared to me that the hex map of the region and the objective(s) given to the player to achieve is A ROOM where you can find multiple other rooms in it. There is even a TIMER in it: if the players take too much time to get rid of the bandits (or most of it) the bandits will react brutally and violently, destroying what the player are protecting in the region.

Only the target is a bit tricky to establish but it can still inform about the global difficulty the players will encounter in the region.

Here it is, the concept of “worldmap room” with timer, threat and treat and everything ICrpg. With that concept it is possible to translate Kingmaker to ICrpg quiet easily.
I think it is a good concept because it allows me to come up with a single room where all the other rooms will take place and create a more “open world/exploration” ttrpg.

Thank you for reading it entirely, i hope it make sense and sorry if i do make some language mistakes, English is not my mother tongue. Don’t hesitate to ask me questions about it if you what me to clarify. ^^

If @Runehammer has already thought about it, i’d like to hear his insights about the “worldmap room” archetype i came up with. ^^

Hey! This kind of thinking is stinkin cool!
Rooms within rooms within rooms to infinty!
Damn now I want to create a multidimensional infinity-maze. Maybe the players have been sentenced to inprisonment in such a maze…

Either way this opens up some really expensive thinking!

This sort of reminds me of a card based solo game called Barbarian Vince. As I recall, there was a world map type thing and the differing areas had a difficulty and all the stuff happening within that area, no matter the specific spot, was supposedly all the same difficulty. I never played it myself, so am just going off recollection.

This idea sounds pretty damn cool. I can’t wait for you to write up all the rules and usage so I can shamelessly plug them into my own use :wink:

Thank you. ^^

I post this because it never occurs to me before that a worldmap (more like a region map) can be a room, maybe it will need some specifics rules but right now we can think of it like a room in another timeframe, while the “classical” room is in moments, the world map room is in days. It opens up another type of gameplay relying on actiond we could do during the day (hunting, camping, crafting, travelling, soft social interaction, etc). ^^

You could do the same with big battles! Where the room is the battlefield and the players take control of whole regiments.
Timer: 1D4 until the opposing army’s dragon arrives

Are you familiar with the One Page Dungeon concept? It occurred to me some time back that the One Page Whatever concept worked both ways. One Page Room. One Page Dungeon. One Page City. One Page Kingdom. One Page World.

One Page Hex fits in there just fine.

Sounds interesting @Ishtar . Can you point us to more info on the one page dungeon?

One Page Dungeon is a dungeon design contest which has been held for the last ten years - the idea is to design a complete system-neutral dungeon that fits on one page. A tremendous amount of creativity goes into these things. Collections of all the entries are available as compendiums on Drive Thru.

I figured the One Page concept worked with things other than dungeons. On one page, you can fit the most pertinent information regarding a kingdom, hex, city, or business establishment.

I would be reticent to mention The Trove as that resource also contains other assets that are in violation of certain copyrights, etc.

Corrected. Thank you.