Recommend me some good Fantasy Short stories

I figure some of you will be up on their Fantasy literature. Didn’t have time and mental state, and still don’t, to read a full book but I am looking for brain fodder. Any suggestions for single stories or books welcome!

Swords & Deviltry by Fritz Leiber. One of the books listed by Gygax as inspiration for D&D.

Dying Earth by Jack Vance. Inspired the magic system for D&D.

Conan stories from Robert E Howard.

I’m currently reading the short story collection “Wizards: Magical Tales from the Masters of Modern Fantasy”.

So far, it’s been interesting. Different storytelling styles, different themes. Can’t say that much yet since I’ve only read two of the short stories, but I’m mentioning it in case it might be within what you’re looking for.

Thanks, should have said that Appendix N and the Classics I already have read, looking for more current material.

You know once I started getting into the creative world of RPGs, it killed my time reading fiction for the most part. With only so much free time I’ve decided I like much more to write my own stories as both player and GM and have them evolve in game than to read someone else’s stories. SO I’m not surprised you don’t have the bandwidth to read a lot.

Somewhere I read an article talking about this subject and it suggested that a lot less of Fantasy fiction readers/fans are into RPGs for the reasons I mentioned. Fantasy fiction leads a lot of people to RPGs, but for many of them I think a tipping point comes where they decide the gaming is more enjoyable than the reading.

I agree, but a brain needs fodder and inspiration too or it starves. That’s why I think short stories are a good compromise.

I know that feeling. I keep setting a goal to find some good fantasy or sci-fi books but I keep struggling to find ones that hold my interest. Maybe I’m just picky haha. I have also noticed that most of the movies I watch are through the eyes of a GM. “Oh, there’s the quest giver… Oh boy, the room target just went up… oooh, there goes a five room dungeon”.

But as for short books, I particularly enjoyed the Emperor’s Soul by Brandon Sanderson and The Slow Regard for Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss.

If you are short on time consider comics. Try out the Marvel or DC online subscriptions. You’ll have THOUSANDS of easily digestible short stories many of which are easily transferable to whatever genre
your game is.

You are not alone in that. heh Amazingly, I find it helps me to enjoy some movies/shows more as I get not just enjoyment, but GM fodder.

Yeah. Comics a great way to go if time pressed.

Die!
The Realm
Conan (always a go to)
Northlanders

Edit: reread all the posts…none of this is current…it’s been a while since looking at short stories. But this might be an interesting list for others.

Hard topic for me, since I typically read really long books and am terrible with names…but I have read a lot.
Elric Vol 1

Mostly short stories if I remember correctly.

The stories of Earthsea

You only need The Wizard of Earthsea. But I want this book.

The color of magic

Again not really short but filled with fun!!

Welcome to boarder town

More of a return to bordertown collection of short stories about a world in between.

Thieves world

Out of print, but a great anthology of short stories about one place.

Rogues
One of my favorite short story anthology’s in a long time.

Thanks Paxx, it looks like Rogues is exactly what I am looking for!

I saw R.E.Howard mentioned above. If you listen or like audiobooks there’s a ton of Howard at LibriVox.

I sadly can’t listen to books and do something else hence it never was an alternative for me but that’s a great tip for anyone into audio books.

Recommend me some Dragon Rider stories: I miss those, I don’t know where they went. I want some! I want to run a campaign like that! <3

The Raven Tower and Sixteen ways to defend a walled city comes highly recommended. Haven’t read them my self, but they are high on the list.
Think Tigana and Good Omens might be worth a look to.

Some books I have read and liked:

The Riyria Revelations by Micheal J. Sullivan
A series following a pair of thieves, one a good-hearted sellsword and the other a cynical rogue, as they get mixed up in a world of magic and politics. There’s a lot of good banter between the two and some very memorable side characters.
(I recommend you read them in published order. The Riyria Chronicles occur first but are best read after Revelations.)

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
The first book of another series, the Wheel of Time. This is about a trio of village boys who embark on a journey of epic proportions as they learn exactly who and what they truly are. If you like Level 0 characters, these guys definitely start out there. This book is long at 800+ pages but there’s some really cool stuff in here.

I know this may not be for everyone but you might want to look into children’s and tween books (ages 10-12) at your local library. You may be surprised how many books there are in the fantasy genre that are really quite good. I personally like keeping an eye out for books in this category because the writing is streamlined and there are often great illustrations (quick to read too!). My library classifies the Hobbit and Harry Potter in the Children’s and tween book area just to give you an idea. Some books to check out in this category:

The Luck Uglies Series - Paul Durham

Redwall Series - Brian Jaques

The Edge Chronicles - Paul Stewart & Chriss Riddell

If you want weird and out there check out books from Frank Baum (Wizard of Oz series)

There are countless others that I have read that are really good but I don’t remember the titles or authors.

Hope that helps!

Great suggestions, thank you! Hadn’t thought about books in that category at all.

Yup,
Great suggestions on Redwall and Wizard of Oz series…I’ll look into the others.

I totally forgot a great one for you

Norse Mythology https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393356183/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_klYwEbP3P5815

Slightly modern twist on the stories, but still many of the stories. His other collections of short stories all have Fantasy elements but are not exactly there…worth looking into, one of the great novelists of our time who focuses on Fantasy.

I am a Fan of Garth Nix…
The first 3 books of The Old Kingdom series are great, but not super short.
the entire Keys to the Kingdom series. (shorter books)

And anything by Terry Pratchett. but Pratchett might not be the brain Fodder you are looking for. Short books but I find them hard to put down; “and oh!!! that’s my alarm to wake up”, happened to me more than once with a Pratchett book in my hands.

To Reign in Hell by Steven Brust
Jhereg is 239 pages of criminal underworld in fantasy world goodness. But the 3 book omnibuses are more economical, The Book of Jhereg is 3 books in one at 480 pages.
Another Fine Myth going back to comic Fantasy is like 200 pages.

However, there has to be someone who reads short story Anthologies here other than me??? I’m actualy looking for decent Anthologies on Audible…Is got credits burning a hole in my head!!!