Playing ICRPG Without Target (aka Modding with "The Dark Eye")

Hey guys,

some of you may know THE DARK EYE (in Germany well-known as DAS SCHWARZE AUGE), which is D20-game based on rolling low against your STAT. Besides rolling low, a modified set of STATS is (at least for me) a huge part of the DNA of that game.

When reading the THE DARK EYE rules, my mind immediately started modding it to fit it into ICRPG terms and philosophy, especially because it already contains mechanics similar to ATTEMPTs, EASY and HARD. This led me into compiling an ICRPG-mod for grabbing some of the THE DARK EYE rules DNA but with the philosophy and simplicity of ICRPG.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HGGCSK0ye0bUPCBykoSbFKsc_NIzQ5cv/view?usp=sharing

Keep in mind this ideas are now yet playtested. It’s just a set of ideas which I’m going to playtest in a couple of oneshots some day. But I feel like sharing it with you :slight_smile:

Greetings
glocke

Looks nice.

One question though.

Would you use and ICRPG -3 / +3 overall EASY/ HARD bonus or if cumulative would you use what? steps of 2?

Also if cumulative complications/reliefs are used, do you have any idea for a graceful system for thing like “for a archer all arrow shooting attempts are EASY”?

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Thx for your response AND your question!

I’d rather go with cumulative (I agree on +/-2 each) as “replacement” for plain easy/hard. But you’re right: this question arises. I think that’s up to the actual group and its GM, whether those things might be adapted in a homebrew-way. Maybe those attempts are “twice easier”, “cannot be made harder” or something like that.

I also tought about using “additional D4s” per easy/hard, to give it more variance. Like “twice easier attempt” would be 1D20 vs. stat + 2D4 (e.g. 14 vs. 12+2+1=15 succeeds). Idk, tons of options out there :slight_smile: