Perseverance through Campaigns

Hey all, just thought I’d bring my questions here where they can be answered by awesome folks like you people.
My question for you all is, how do you stick to campaigns or stay interested in adventures you’re running? It might just be a me problem, but I always find I quickly loose interest on some campaign or idea I want to run with my friends, but either never get to or my interest in it fizzles our. Wondering if anyone has/has had this same problem and how you’re dealing with it.

For me it always comes down to if the Heroes are interesting. I can be all about a game’s concept and all that cool stuff that’s going to go on, but if my Players (or my fellow Players) just aren’t doing anything cool, it’s all a wash.

But the responsibility for this is spread evenly.

It’s certainly the Dungeon Master’s job to make sure that there is cool stuff to do, but it’s definitely in the sphere of the Players to Be Heroes. To pull insane stunts, put their lives on the line and act in a way that totally side-winds how the game was going. That’s what makes the game interesting.

So I guess my advice would be to see how your players like to play. What gets them involved? What’ll make that quiet and aloof archer stand up and say “Hey, this I cannot stand for!” and what is that one thing that would make your greedy rogue spend his fortune to protect?

As the Dungeon Master, it’s your job to make these things present. To not assure a path of action, but to give every reason for your players to stand as Heroes on their own. And it’s the Player’s job to live up to everything their Dungeon Master has set up for them.

And, quite honestly, if your group can do all that and you just happen to be ten miles from the plot, I don’t think the game’s original concepts or plotting really matter any more.

EDIT: I guess I went on a weird tangent again. Haha!

If this would better answer the question, I’ve been playing a campaign for three years now. My character is the only one that has survived to now and he’s in no mood to stop. I’ve fallen in and out of love with him, both due to actions I’ve done as him and purely from having played the same character for three years straight.

It was hard to stay attached first. The basic concept of who he was grew old, as anything does.

But, as time went on, I reminded myself of what he is and where I could take him. I inspired myself by recalling the tales that he could tell, the years of journeying with changing faces and ideals. How it has changed him, what has brought out his best and worst. His story.

I can see it in my head perfectly, as if I was there. And that’s the magic of it. He’s got a life of his own at this point, I don’t play him.

His name (dumb enough) is Coriander Spice. He’s slain dragons and demons, drank to good health and drank to a good death. He’s seen sights no man ought to and has come out alive from more scrapes than he’s any right to. He’s a rogue minus an arm, a hand and an eye and the hero he always dreamed of being.

I think he deserves an end to his story.

Short Answer: Inspire yourself with what could be, then make it happen.

There is a part of this topic discussed here.

For ME, It’s all about the Players/PCs involvement in the story and MY involvement in the PCs stories/backgrounds and using those in the story.
Also… To not stray I keep away from other influences. If I run fantasy I stay away from scifi etc

Icrpg gives for small fulfilling adventures or decade spanning games. Not filling a storyline from baby adventurer to cosmic powers.
Embrace the small. Just have a bit more in your back pocket. Leave the players wanting to revisit those characters. Not because there are loose ends, but because the players feel they where a blast.

At this stage of my life, where there are all sorts of things that take priority over my gaming, I try to dedicate my adventure arcs to 2~6 sessions. While coming up with the adventure I semi-unconsciously think of the bigger world. By first session I know the major players and the level above the major players.

That level above might be the antagonist leaders or their major influences.
If the antagonists where the impulsive ones after a certain goal, what of the less impulsive? Slower, but more who can bring more resources into play, it just took more time to move those resources.

If the leadership of the antagonist, they will be more varied with the first major antagonists one of perhaps 4~5 lieutenants, and a leadership. If needed it is expandable.

Quick character creation games, gives us the ability to explore. You don’t need a 3 year story, you need a few nights.

Think non-sequel movies, or miniseries, or one season shows that tell a full story.

Don’t get into the long campaign trap. At your fingertips is a game that lets you tell a fulfilling story regardless of Length.

Also beseech the players to make CHARACTERS not see where they fit and get a feel for the party, but larger than life archetypes.
It’s only a session or 3. They are fully filled now, not at level 10. They have a common goal now, not for the next 10 years.
I fall in that trap as a player, my characters at conventions are always way more fun then at the home game table. There is no reason for that, unless I can play that for 6 hours but not 16. Though I’ll admit seeing the characters as something I may need to play for 5 months+ and turn the knob to 5 as opposed to 11.

Thank you for all the great advice! I’ve been thinking about planning for shorter adventures, things that are more manageable, and also focusing on just finishing things. I will also try out some of the things you guys have suggested. Couldn’t have asked for a better community to answer all RPG questions!

I would not plan your adventures at all, you share a similiar problem that I have had lately (past three campaigns actually). It just boils down to a simple fact: you’ll never be ready to run a game, just do it. Fly by the seat of your pants, play off the players comments during the game (man I hope theirs not goblins in their, I freaking hate goblins!) and just roll with it. Like others have said, its a shared gaming experience not just to stroke your ego, so you have to work off the players too.

So basically just invite your players over right after reading this comment, have them make characters, and then just play. ICRPG has great mechanics for flying by the seat of your plants, the timer die is your friend brother!