Party Tracker + Milestones

sheet

Working on a Party Tracker sheet for this week’s stream and I’m trying to find a simple way of tracking players, what types of milestones they have, when to award them, and what kinds to hand out. I sit back though and wonder if a sheet is even necessary?

Is this meant to be a DM tool? If so, I don’t ever keep track. I would never use something like this … too rigid …. But I recognize that I am an odd duck.

It looks extremely nice and tightly designed (like all of your stuff), but I personally am so in love with the index card aesthetic, that anything I would need to track would have to fit on an DIN A6 index card (4.1 x 5.8 inches if the conversion tables I found are correct). The neat thing about index cards is that I can put them in the compartment in the back of my journal. Here’s an example (but even that could be shortened to take up less space like only writing down stats with modifiers above +0 or having codified symbols for all six attributes).

Well, personally, I think this sheet is a clever concept nicely laid out. I could see how it could be put to good use, depending upon one’s style. Well done. :+1:

It’s been pretty interesting to have been working with worksheets for the last month or so, not to replace the simplicity of journals or index cards, but coming at them with the idea of kickstarting my DM brain into action.

Like you said Alex, I would probably never use this regularly or even track parties in this way, but what if I needed to quickly review where a party was at, the progress they’ve made, or what potential areas I could focus on.

Maybe that’s where I’ve gone astray? Thinking too much about tracking (which is just a cumbersome thing in general) when I should have approached it from a reviewing mindset… hmm… :thinking:

Yeah. I think for me, the worksheet feels like a solution in search of a problem, so a key question is: what problem are you trying to solve?

And, is a checklist any more effective than a start of session check-in? “Hey guys, where is everyone at on stat bumps and milestones?” Or, is it any more effective than some hash marks in my journal next to the PC names? Or, is it even necessary? ie, does it matter if Joe has gotten +3 in on-the-spot awards, and Dennis has only gotten +1? The knee jerk is “yeah! They need to be even!” But do they? Really? Is Dennis having a lousy time with a +2 difference between them? There are lots of factors that might determine his satisfaction … for example, plundering loot chests.

And speaking of which, if you throw loot around like candy like I do I some games, would you track how many pieces Chuck has pulled from chests versus Dennis? Because, some of those pieces are milestone level.

Anyway, as others have said, it’s a tightly put together sheet, and your skills are always on point. But I think you’re on the right track in terms of review. I almost feel like your in-person dialogue with your group will be far more meaningful at a check-in or tribunal than a DM taking on a tracking burden.

Sound advice as always Alex :wink:

Problem to be solved: How do you review a party and their progression as things go on in a campaign AND can that process be simulated in a worksheet?

I’m really interested in moments of practice and application, right now. I definitely agree that verbal check-ins before sessions or amidst a tribunal are the most effective venues for review. But how can I practice that during my own studies, away from the game table?

I’ve been finding a lot of benefits from worksheets as almost a guided practice. For that reason, l’ve been exploring that concept more, and different ways I can push myself using that type of tool. It will never beat out the raw efficiency that comes from in-person communication and experience, though.

this feels like too much mental load for me as a GM to worry about, but maybe I’m just lazy :slight_smile:

It’s pretty, for sure. And well laid out, organized. But the only reasons I can think of for using such a form would be either making sure I as a GM wasn’t falling into a rut, or to be able to maintain/prove some kind of weird equality and balance to players.

And the only reason I can think of for needing the weird equality would be perhaps if I was running a game for a group of children with very specific special needs. (Because if I had adults who made me feel like I needed to do things like that, they wouldn’t be at my table for long.)

I think that it is a very useful tool, I might use it for this campaign, as I use everything on my players’ sheet to create opposition, obstacles, and enemies. I put them on the spot often, as it is written in Dungeon World, because this is just the coolest way to play D&D! Hopefully, this tool will become more popular over time!

However, I am with @kagozaiku here: would it be possible for you, @KaneDriscol, to make your tools the size of index cards? I wouldn’t mind adding a ring to keep them all together, add, and remove them over time, because it means having a cool pile of them to flip through! :grin:

What’s the stream? If you don’t mind me asking. Open to the public??

Sure thing. I’ve just been doing morning streams talk about ICRPG stuff haha

Cool. I’ll check it out. I’ve got a reminder set. And you, my friend, have another subscriber.

Always happy to see your insight to the game.